Aggressive fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm about to buy a 200 gallon tank which I plan to house aggressive fish in. I'm trying to plan what I'm going to put in there. I really like these fish, and was wondering if anyone knew of any major compatibility issues, etc

niger trigger
clown trigger
spiny box puffer
dog-face puffer
volitan lionfish

Right now I have a 75 gallon community tank.

I do like those fish!
The triggers will move your LR, if not properly attached. It looks like those two might get along.
The two puffers can probably get along, but the spiny puffer will possibly nip at slower moving fish like the lionfish and possibly the triggers.
The loinfhis will eat anything it can swallow. If the others are smaller then him, they might be expensive snacks.
Are you planning on a sump, for a decent sized clean up crew? That will be a big bio-load, since they are pretty messy eaters.

pinkie said:
I'm about to buy a 200 gallon tank which I plan to house aggressive fish in. I'm trying to plan what I'm going to put in there. I really like these fish, and was wondering if anyone knew of any major compatibility issues, etc

niger trigger
clown trigger
spiny box puffer
dog-face puffer
volitan lionfish

Right now I have a 75 gallon community tank.

I would make some changes. First off, clown triggers are one of the more aggressive of triggers. Stick with a niger, Rhinecanthus assasi, or Xanthicthys ringens. There are other less aggressives, these are my faves. Keep a single puffer, one or the other, both will have personality. Skip the lion. Triggers and puffers are known to chew the tips off and harrass them. Don't forget, volitans get large and their mouth moreso.

Yes we are definitely planning on a sump. :)

So now we're considering skipping the lionfish due to the suggestions. Although I am wondering, what triggerfish would be the better match for a clown trigger - a picasso or an undulate? I've heard conflicting things about clown triggerfish. I mean, obviously they are aggressive but I've heard some people say they haven't had issues with them bothering other fish yet others say they need to be alone. So I'm assuming it depends on the specific clown trigger's personality to some extent as well as factors such as when he is added to the tank and his size in comparison to his tankmates. The thing that worries me most about an undulate is him interacting with the other fish, not so much with the clown.

I am also wondering if a clown triggerfish (and undulate) would be too aggressive for a spiny box puffer? We will possibly be skipping the dog-face puffer as well.

Thanks for all your help!

Triggers are fun aren't they! :D Rhinecanthus aculeatus are actually pretty peaceful triggers, for a trigger, but can hold their own. Balistapus undulatus are one of the most aggressive of triggers, prob. moreso than Balistoides conspicillum. What they lack in size to the clown, they make up in attitude lol. I would go with B. conspicillum and R. aculeatus just because you prob. won't have 2 trigs going at each others throats than if you went with the clown and undulate. Add the puffer first, then R. aculeatus, and finally B. conspicillum. If the clown gets too aggressive in its days, at least you can remove it and know R. aculeatus is not as much of a worry towards other tankmates. You can prob. get away with a spinybox puffer if you add it first. Don't let those big beautiful eyes fool you...

Other animals you can try are damsels. I would like to think the 200g is their final resting home, so you might be maxed out once the trigs and puffer reach adult size.

Back
Top Bottom