Aiptasia...grrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonoconnell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I all, just need some advice.

I bought some more live rock for my tank today, and have noticed that a few of the pieces have Aiptasia on them. Clearly not good, so I'm just investigating the best solution of getting this under control before it gets out of hand and they spread.

I've read that the best form of control is for Hermit Crabs to be added to clean these pests out, but can this guarantee success before they spread further?

I'd be grateful to hear advice/experiences here.

Thanks

Jason

I was told that hermit crabs won't eat them. If you can see them clearly, get a syringe and start shooting lemon juice concentrate into their stems (said to be harmless to the tank). I would advise hosting the rocks in a separate container until the infestation is gone. I had nudibranches - but they didn't really eat them either. So now I'm looking at baking the rocks in the microwave or something like that. Let's see what others will say.

try peppermint shrimp, they got all of mine out of the tank within a few hours of being added.

Agree with roka... the kalk paste or Joe's Juice is the guaranteed way to go. Peppermints are hit and miss and if you only have a few chemical methods are just plain simple. Never heard of crabs dealing with it - and they won't.

This may be a stupid question, but how is it dealt with in the wild? I assume that reefs aren't taken over by them, so something must be keeping them in check other than chemical intervention?

Never under estimate the power of boiling hot water and a meat-type syringe either

This may be a stupid question, but how is it dealt with in the wild? I assume that reefs aren't taken over by them, so something must be keeping them in check other than chemical intervention?

Copperband Butterfly fish eat'em.

Decided to apply some Aptasia X, and removed one of the rocks from the tank until its cleared. Seems to have worked so far as the little beggars have all but gone.

Back
Top Bottom