Algae Alert !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gollum777

Aquarium Advice Regular
I opened all the windows in my den and in one day my tank looks all cloudy and brown. Is there a quick fix?? Or should I start doing water changes? I never started having any problems until I started opening up my windows to let more light in. Need some quick assistance asap.

You can close your window shades cause the light is creating algae most likely. You could also by a Pleco along with snails and amono shrimp!

I have 2 turbo snails,1shrimp,2 hermit crabs in the tank right now.Whats a Pleco?

It's a kind of fish some call them sucker fish. Look them up I happen to love them... They do tend to poop...a lot!

Oh.....rats ,I only have a freshwater one..didnt know thats what theyre called.Would my Foxface and Yellow Tang help clean up the joint ??

For some reason I thought you where talking about a freshwater tank...oops my bad! What size tank do you have?

Water changes would be a good start. The light jump started the algae but algae needs nutrient filled water to thrive.

Ive put a little iodine in the water for my snails,shrimp and and hermits and some drops of concentrated garlic for their immune system.I did open all my windows in my den cause we got some sunshine for a couple of days.And after that my water got kinda cloudy. Ive never had cloudy water before.I did partial water changes yesterday and today.My tank is 125 gallons.

It's not a good idea to add anything you aren't testing for and are sure you need. There's plenty of iodine in your salt mix. Skip the garlic too. It's not proven that garlic does anything for a fish's immune system. It's more for attracting finicky eaters to food.
I still recommend water changes to reduce nutrients.

thanx mr x .............Its starting to slowly clear up with the water changes......not as clear as before but getting there........

I notice I have alot of algae buildup on all my artificial plants.Should I take those out or leave them? They,do look nice.

thanx mr x........I cleaned them up and put them back in ,my new Niger Trigger likes to hide behind them.Tank looks like its slowly clearing up,I was so worried my fish were gonna kick the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom