Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae and fish "get along" question

Howdy folks....haven't been back to this site for a while but sure is good to know it is up and running well at the new location now.

My question is a two-part:

First is about algae: It appears that I have both green and red algae. The green shows up mostly on the glass of the lid right under the light and the red shows up on a plastic plant that is near an outlet from an underwater circulator. I would like to know what I can do in the way of additives to get rid of the algae. It really does not bother water much only that it is very unsightly.

The other question is regarding fish compatibility with other species: I currently have 1 Blue Damsel, 1 Tang and 1 Clown. I have taken a liking to the Butterfly and would like oppinions on how they will get along. Tang is actually kind of shy and all have staked out their territory.

Thanks.....Steve!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to alaher2
What kind of Tang do you have? Because I currently have a Juvy Kole Tang, and he seems to have a liking for both the green algae and the brown hair algae and does a great job clearing them up.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you info is right you have a 29 gallon tank. A tang needs to be in a bigger tank. And as far as additives, I personally dont believe in them. We need to find out what is causing the algea to grow in your tank. Excessive nutrients are the fuel that is feeding the algea. Frequent PWC`s, feeding every other day and not having the lights on as much for a while. All three of these will help to lower nitrates and other excessive nutrients with out having to add additives that will further stress out your tank. What kind of tang do you have?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with mel. Find the problem and sqwash it. I like the natural way, as well. Do you have any biowheels or sponges?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae and fish "get along" question

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have a yellow tang and he seems very happy to me, very active, healthy and has adapted well to the space. A bigger tank would be nice...perhaps in the future. Actually, I think I have the gallons wrong...think 29 gallon was my old tank and got a new one not too long ago which is 24x36x12.....think it is closer to the 50 gallon range.

I do not have a bio wheel or sponge..just a hang on power filter and underwater circulation pump.

I like the natural way of changing conditions as well but will not be opposed to additives if they are proven not to be harmful.

I do not do water changes because evaporation happens rather rapidly and I am adding water frequently....perhaps that is not enough. The Berlin air lift that I use seems to be capturing quite a bit of refuse. I turn light off at night.

I have been feeding brine shrimp once a day....will skipping a day really be helpful.....I have seen the tang muching a little on alage....perhaps iit will do more cleanup if he has to skip a day....not sure about that.

What about "butterfly fish" with othere that I have.

Steve
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
PWCs are very importand in SW. They will replenish the depleted minerals in the tank. It is also possible the UGF will/can trap and cause nitrAtes to raise, as well as allow bad algae to thrive.
I feed every other day, with no bad results.
What are the test results of your tank's water?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Re: Algae and fish "get along" question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconemanband
I do not do water changes because evaporation happens rather rapidly and I am adding water frequently....perhaps that is not enough.
It is not enough. The reason for PWC`s are to remove and dilute Excessive nutrients that cause bad algeas and to replace important trace elements that are needed for your tank. IME you are asking for a big letdown for you and your tank inhabitants if you do not do PWC`s. I have seen it time and time again.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The minerals get added into water through the new salt added in a PWC, if your just topping off due to evaporation, then you are adding little or no new salt (if your adding mixed saltwater to top it off, your just increasing your SG since salt doesnt evaporate as redily as water)

Tags
algae, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com