algae at water surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was testing my water earlier and when i filled the test tupe, i saw dirty water and some green algae going into the tub. i put the tube in a different part of the tank and it did the same thing. so i looked a little closer and i saw a film of green algae at the surface of the water. it looks like its made of tiny dots of algae just floating at the top. ive never noticed this before and was just wondering if it was normal or not.

I've never noticed that before. Do you have adequete water movement at the surface. Organics tend to rise to the surface and hang there if not skimmed or broken up by PH's.

my filter output causes adequite movement, but for a while i didnt have a powerhead, i just put it back in my tank oday because i had been using it mix up water for a water change. I guess ill wait and see what happens overnihght and if its still ther tomorrw, ill try to get rid of it

its still there today, and i cant get it out. i tried skimming it away by brininging the ph right up the the surface and moving it back and forth but that didnt work. theni tried to skoop it out with a cup, which also didnt work. any ideas on haw to get rid or it? this is really strange, i dont know why its happening, i dont get much algae anywher else in the tank....

A brine shrimp net may work. If you angle 2 powerheads to cross eachother from opposite ends of the tank the agitation of the water surface should prevent this from happening again.

would having a powerhead and the output of a filter facing each other prevent it? thats the way its set up now, but maybe if i get rid of it that will stop it. thanks for the help

How much water flow are you getting from your PH and filter. If your total water flow is somewhere between 10x - 20x your water volume per hour you should not be getting this algae growth on the surface.

i dont know how to measure water flow, but the ph is only a maxi jet 400 so its pretty weak and the ilter seems about the same, maybe a little stronger. i didnt used to have a powerhead at all though and this never happened. i will get a stronger ph eventually....but who knows when

Back
Top Bottom