Algae Identification?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cocodonovan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is growing on the rock in my biocube. Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are 0 and PH is good. Just a clown in there, and I just wanna make sure this isn't bad. Crabs have been eating away at it slowly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421979885.586623.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421979898.535678.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cyanobacteria. A sign of nutrient issues in the water column. You will see it in low flow areas of the tank. If not working on the nitrates/phosphates and flow is increased, will begin to grow as algae instead. You are most likely getting readings of 0 as a false negative due to the amount of the stuff growing in the tank.

Looks like bubble algae to me. Crabs will eat it. The redish tint may be cyno but I don't know of anything that will eat it due to the fact it is accually a bacteria. It tends to form in low flow areas of your tank. Bad water levels and old lighting will encurage growth also.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will water changes take care of this? Is there anything else I should do? Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have never had an issue with bubble algae. I would try to remove as much as you can. Let the crab take care of the rest. As for the cyno it syphon's out easy try to get as much as you can. They try to increase water flow to the areas were it is growing. Make sure your not over feeding and keep up on water changes. This should take care of it. It will take some time. I have heard that removing light from ur tank for a few days will help kill it but not really sure maybe someone else can input on this. Worse case thay make a chemical that will kill it but this will just solve the issue for a short period of time and the cyno will return if proper tank maintenance is not done.

Like was said, you want to address the nutrient issue in the water column. Feed less and sparingly. Nutrients going in must also be taken out after all. Water changes can solve the issue if you are using ro/di water. Using tap and even distilled water can be bringing in some of the problem. I have some cyano and algae in my current reef because I am using distilled water.

+1 on the rodi water. I currently use tap and my cyno will spread out of control if I don't keep up on wc and tank maintenance. Hopefully soon I will extra money to by a unit. Until then just some extra work for me lol

Back
Top Bottom