Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonymc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been getting a very thin film of green algae forming on the tank glass and sand surface, Tank is now in the 7th week 240L 35kg LR i do 10 percent water change a week done a water change this morning and now it has formed again all tests ok PH 8,3 amonia 0 nitrite0 nitrate 20 po4 0,1 mg/l 2 peices of the LR also have hair algae any advice greatly appreciated

Are you cleaning out the media/ceramic rings/LR rubble/sponges in the filter, with the old SW?

yes roka have been rinsing media in the old sw this fine dust like algae returns in hours, would it help if i turned off the cannister filter, and if i only use the blue lights instead of the daylight tubes ,would putting sally lightfoot crabs in help if so how many. Many thanks for the tips your help is appreciated

Mike has a good link there.
How old are your test kits, are they liquid or strips?
Can you get your LFS to doublecheck your nitrAtes and phosphates?
Is the tank in front of a window?
What/how much/how often are you feeding?

The test kits are 6 weeks old and all are liquid, the tank is in a alcove with no direct light on it, frozen brine shrimp 2 shakes of the frozen cube aday just so a few shrimp come off as directed by lfs. And just a couple of flakes of New Era Marine Flakes for the shrimps

You can probably reduce the feeding. I feed every other day and sometimes every 3rd day.

i will try that thanks, Could i put an inline uv filter coming off my return to tank, would this be possible, would it have any effect on fish

You could but the only thing it will take care is anything that will go through the lighted chamber. Anything down on the LR and substrate wont be affected.

I agree, it is only good for whatever goes through it....Not a very effective way to go about things, IMO. Some folks swear by them.

Back
Top Bottom