algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountaindew

Aquarium Advice Regular
some people have told me that this red algae in my tank is bad.It started a year ago after I purchased my live rock and started adding reef plus to the tank.The FS told me that it would bring out the colors of the rock and this is one of the colors.Is this bad

Attachments

• IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 77
Oh my... yeah, that's definitely red algae, also known as cyanobacteria. It's really not an algae, but is a bacteria that feeds off of excessive nutrients in your tank and loves water with not much flow. Yes... it's not good to have in a tank.

Here's a good starting point on researching the stuff...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bluegralgae.htm

And here's a good condensed "how to get rid of" article...

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=11&item_id=5

Look at #9 on the list... "Quit using additives such as coral growers". I'm not familiar with "Reef Plus" but it looks like it's Seachem's version of a coral supplement with vitamin, trace elements, etc. I don't see any corals in your tank to start with, so you definitely don't need that stuff. Even if you do have corals, frequent water changes (weekly or biweekly), good water parameters, and good lighting in addition to occasional feeding if the coral requires it, is all you need.

If you post your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, as well as pH/alk and phosphates) and give us some more background about your tank (number/type of powerheads and pumps, water change schedule, type of water you use to start with) I'm sure folks will give you some suggestions as how to rid yourself of it.

I agree with Kurt. It's definitely cyanobacteris. The best way to get rid of it, siphon what you can and more frequent PWCs. I have had no success with increased water flow directly to the areas once it has a foothold.
A few questions:
How long do you run your lights?
How much/often/what are you feeding?
One thing your LFS might try to sell you is an antibacterial "cure", please do not use this, as it can kill off your beneficial bacteria.

Yes it is very bad. I would try to siphon off as much as possible when you do your next PWC. That would take a huge chunk of it out.

I siphoned as much as I could,what a difference.My lights are only on from 5:30 pm to 10:30 pm.I feed them frozen seafood mix.I take the water out of the aquarium,thaw the food and dump it back in the tank.I just learned I should dump the water out of the cup and just give them the thawed food.I was putting reef plus in there for the live rock they are saying not to do that.I feed them probably 5 times a week

I feed every other day and just enough so there is little to no food left.

Wow... that much cyano with only 5 hours of lighting? Wow. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels of both your tank water, and your fresh water used to do water changes with?

That`s the next step. Give us your water test results on your tank and PWC water.

I would definately check the source water for nitrates and phosphates. Are you using RO/DI water if so are you making it yourself or are you buying? If you are buying it I would have them test the water while you are standing there watching. I agree there are WAY too much extra nutrients in your tank to cause that much cyano to grow in that short of a photo period. Get your water params posted and we will be able to help you out a lot more.

can this stuff also be green?? My local fish store has what looks like the same thing only its green.

Yes... cyano can be green, red, purple, blue, and many shades in between. The key thing is that it looks like a sheet of slimy stuff.

As far as I know, cyano ITSELF can't make fish sick. However... the water conditions that cyano thrives in (high nitrates, high phosphate, etc) could make fish sick. Cyano is a warning sign that something could be better in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom