Algae resolution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLFishFanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Our light just seem to produce too much algae. I pick some off, but it grows fast. We have stocking room for a decent sized fish; any suggestion for fish that will eat a lot of algae, or how to keep it from growing so fast?

Check all these out and see if you can find what will help. When you do frequent PWC`s siphon out as much as you can. You might have to rubberband a toothbrush to the end so you can scrub some of it off.

Usually if you can bring your nitrate and phosphate levels down you can get rid of the algae. Using fish to eat it is very hit or miss. Some will eat it and some won't. It also depends on the type of algae. I would try reducing your levels first.

As for the algae, what kind is it, where is it growing, and please explain "grows fast"? Does fast mean an inch a day or more?

Here is a standard post for algae or cyno control and elimination.
1. If you already use RO water, test your source water. You may need to
add a deionizer to it. This is the most important step.
2. Siphon as much of it as you can. Breaking it up only helps it to
spread. You need to do this as frequently as possible.
3. Review your feeding habit. Are you overfeeding? Do the fish eat what
you put in at feeding time within a few minutes, or is there food lying
around the bottom after? Also, if you use frozen, make sure to drain
the as much of the packing juice as you can before adding.
4. Do you have adequate water movement? Any dead spaces in the tank?
5.Do you have a skimmer? If so, is it producing daily amount of dark
thick skimmate?
Are you running GFO? You can also run a PO4 sponge which will help, but you need to address the other underlying causes.

OK, thank you all very much for the advice. I haven't checked my nitrate levels this week, I'll look later today.

I forgot to include what the tank was! Sorry all.

150 gallons saltwater, FOWLR.
Stocking includes:
1 Queen Angelfish
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Diamond Goby
1 Yellowtail Coris Wrasse
3 Chromis
1 Bowtie Chromis (BIG)

We feed Angel Formula and Formula 2 from Ocean Nutrition, and we also feed them brine shrimp. Before feeding, we let it sit in a 3 ounce cup with aquarium water before feeding, primarily to defrost it. They do eat the majority of the food (2 cubes).

We just took out our skimmer because we didn't have an air pump for it. Will probably get one today: I had forgotten about that.

Our water is pumped by two powerheads, located mid-water column on opposite sides of the tank.

Update: The Algae is almost completely gone! It took quite a few steps and time... but we managed.

1. Added a protein skimmer.
2. Cut down lighting; completely cut off white lighting.
3. 40% PWC and manually removed some algae through a siphon.
4. Added a Yellow Tang and a Mimic Tang, who are actively picking algae of the rocks.

Thanks guys for all your help.

In case you were not aware of it, brine shrimp are like feeding them potato chips. Little to no nutritional value.
Also, feeding every other day is what I recommend in almost all cases. Some fish need to be fed more often, but a 30% restricted caloric intake = healthier and longer lived fish.
One last note for you is that the water in frozen food is often loaded with phosphates and nitrates. It's best to strain it using RODI water and feeding what's left. Some folks use a coffee filter for rinsing.

Really? I knew they weren't nearly as nutritious as the young, but still...

We don't feed the adult brine shrimp often, rather to stimulate the appetite of the larger chromis and tomato clown. Everyone else is practically vegetarian! When the food hits the water, we have to make sure everyone eats properly.

We sit the frozen food in a cup for a few minutes, then take it out and feed it. If I can't get RODI water, can I rinse it with aquarium water/tap?

Back
Top Bottom