Algea growing rapidly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
OB posted bout the algae once before but I didn't get much help from it my fowlr tank keeps growing algae and its like rust colored and I can't get it to go away iv done water changes iv turned off the light for days at a time but when ever I turn it back on it grows back in a couple hours it's terrible it's all over my live rock and everything I really need help fast

Hi there

It sounds like you have cyanobacteria It's usually caused by dead spots in the tank and High Nutrients try increasing your Circulation so there's no dead spots in a tank and keep siphoning it off and cut down on your feeding you could also add some Caulerpa To help compete with it and hopefully it will be gone within a couple of weeks it is very common Good luck

OB posted bout the algae once before but I didn't get much help from it my fowlr tank keeps growing algae and its like rust colored and I can't get it to go away iv done water changes iv turned off the light for days at a time but when ever I turn it back on it grows back in a couple hours it's terrible it's all over my live rock and everything I really need help fast

You need to find where the problem is coming from doing water changes taking off the lights won't help if you don't know where it's coming from. Run a full test see what you find also what are you dosing the tank how high is your lights from the water line are you using rodi ?

Hi there again
RO users get this as well but if you're not using it it could be contributing to it and you're probably regret telling us that
Try What' I said first Good luck

Hi there again
RO users get this as well but if you're not using it it could be contributing to it and you're probably regret telling us that
Try What' I said first Good luck

If you are using rodi and you have a problem like this then you are adding something to the tank that's causing the problem.

No I don't even know hat rodi is I use water from my faucets at home but OB also had freshwater tanks with sand and the same thing happens there is it something in the tank

It's the tap water that's your problem you need a rodi unit go to brs and look it up.

I always thought a forum was to give your opinion and try to help where possible but it looks like there's a few out there That want to slate other peoples opinions and then only guess The problem them selves i guess I'll just have to not get sucked in by these narrow minded people

I always thought a forum was to give your opinion and try to help where possible but it looks like there's a few out there That want to slate other peoples opinions and then only guess The problem them selves i guess I'll just have to not get sucked in by these narrow minded people

Look up info on using fresh water in reef tanks then do the same with rodi. I have read about a few people that use tap but they end up with algae problems. In my first setup I used aged fw but I only did that to make water to start my cycle till my rodi unit came in.

Try testing your tap water for ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates. My local tap water is loaded with that stuff so I have to use ro di. Some people can get away with it but only because their local water is cleaner.

Sorry to jump in on the thread... This is prob a stupid question... Can you use rain water for a saltwater tank? I have always wondered this.

Rodi water is Reverse Osmosis, Deionization water. Basically, its purified water. Thats all you should use. If you dont have it in your house, you need to get some 5 gal water jugs, go find a water works store and buy it. Outside your grocery store is probably a purified water dispenser. Or maybe your local fish store has some. Good luck

Try testing your tap water for ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates. My local tap water is loaded with that stuff so I have to use ro di. Some people can get away with it but only because their local water is cleaner.

There are far worse contaminates than those that can be found in tap water. Most of which you can't test for with a home test kit. Would need it tested by a lab. Best to just use rodi water. Either buy your own rodi filter or buy filtered water from lfs.

Back
Top Bottom