Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

algea on water surface

I have a 14 gallon Bio-Cube that has been up for about 6 or 7 weeks now. My water parameters are all perfect (0 across the board, PH 8.2) and I only have two fish, some live rock/sand, crabs and snails in it.

The problem I am having, is that there is a very large window in the room where the tank is. It seems that the sunlight from the window makes it so that lime green algea gets stuck on the side of the tank and I have to clean it with the magnet cleaner a couple of times a day. Not a big deal though for me to do.

The thing that I am wondering though is that once this algea has been removed from the glass, it sort of goes up to the surface and after makes a filmy surface on the top of the water. I have tried to use a net to skim it off, but it seems to slip right through. Is there any way that you can think of that I can skim this algea off the surface of the water? Or is there anything I can do to cut down on the algea in the tank even though it gets a lot of sun? I should add that upon the suggestion of someone on here, I also cut the lights for four days. There was still algea on my return from the sunlight, albeit less than if the lights were on. I can tell its is from the sunlight because the side of the tank closest to the window aways gets the most algea on it..

Thanks so much!!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
You can paint the sides/back of the glass to keep out as much sunlight as possible. Or simply cover it with black cloth or black aquarium background.

About the algae on the surface, do you run a HOB filter at all? There are surface skimmers that usually can hook up to different branks of HOB filters.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i wouldn't want to paint the sides since it is a bio-cube so that would look kind of funky..

i do not run a hob filter, the filter is a built in biological filtration system in the unit, its an oceanic systems bio-cube (similar to the JBJ Nano-Cube) it has a AC insert, bioballs, and ceramic rings.. can i put/fit any sort of skimmer on this type of unit? or is there an alternative?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:04 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Lol...duh. You said Biocube. I wouldn't paint that either.

I thought there was a site that specialized in nano tank mods...I'll have to surf around and see if I can find it.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks! is there anything i can do otherwise to help cut down the algea? or at least manually skim it off the surface by hand? a net seems to not be able to pick it up very easily...
Old 10-29-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Try and find a brine shrimp net, should be much much finer.

Here is the skimmer I was going to reccomend. I have one with an AC power filter, works really well! You can also connect it to pumps, so it may work for you.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...13892/cid/3869

Can you try adding a black aquarium background to the tank? That might help considerably.

Oh, and just for fun, the website I was talking about is nanotuners.com. Some pretty cool tank mods on there. Mostly for the JBJ but also for the Oceanic.

HTH

Old 10-29-2006, 02:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

that is pretty neat, and for 14 bucks can't really beat it... the back of the aquarium is already black plastic, or do you mean adding the background to the side?

thanks for all the help!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I meant adding a background to the sides. That way you can always take them off when you want to view the fish. I would get very, very annoyed at all that algae, but that's just me.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah i am getting annoyed with it too.. thanks! is there anywhere else that sells that skimmer? the ordering server does not seem to work/is down on the site you sent me..
Old 10-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...surfaceskimmer

Says it's for the Fluval, but I'm almost positive it'll work with anything. Looks exactly the same.

Tags
algea, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com