Alk Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClaytonMG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here, I've been using this site for advice for about 2 months now since that's when I got into saltwater aquariums. The only thing I haven't been able to find is what to do if the alkinity is too high. I know that if you add a buffer, it will raise the alk to a safe level, but what if it's too high? Is there such a thing as too high? I have a 20 gallon tank and the alk is high but the PH is normal. So far I haven't had any problems with any of my fish (2 dwarf angels, 2 ocellaris clownfish and a chocolate chip starfish). So if anyone could that would be awesome! Thank you!

According to the test from Red Sea, my Alk is at around 3.6. I don't have a calcium test, didn't even realize that I needed one until a little bit ago. I'll have to get one on Wednesday, but will my fish be alright at this level? They've been in there for 2 months now without any problems...

3.6 meq/l is not high at all. In fact, it's right about where you want it. 3.6 meq/l is equivalent to about 10 dkH, if you're looking at other alkalinity scales. Not sure why you thought it was high. Are you looking at charts for freshwater, perhaps?

Here's a link for "ideal" water parameters: (saltwater is at the bottom of the page)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1979&articleid=3355

I will read exactly what this card says:

Low 0-1.6
Normal 1.7 - 2.8
High 2.9-3.6

It's from Red Sea and it says "Marine Aquariums" at the top so I am assuming its for saltwater aquariums... But thank you for the link, it's actually very helpful.

Wow! As you can tell, I've never used Red Sea kits! I think Red Sea needs to add some clarification to what it means by "high". Granted, I suppose those figures could be considered "high", but I think most equate "high" with dangerous - as you did. In this case, "high" is good.

Or maybe Red Sea salt mix has "normal" alkalinity (by their definition) and it's a marketing thing?

Well basically what I got out of it is exactly what you said, "high" is bad. If you read their instruction manual, it says that the ocean's natural alkinity is around 2.2 which would be in their "normal" range. So I just figured 3.6 is probably not that good then...

Aquariums (reefs) benefit from a higher meq/L between 3.0 - 4.5 considering the bioloads we tend to maintain. Higher alk readings actually induce calcification.

Back
Top Bottom