Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well you have a soup of problems here:

1. A humu humu triggerfish is not only oversized for your tank from a physical size standpoint but also a waste generation standpoint. It will also eat your inverts and most of your current fish.

2. Even though you added live rock and transferred things from your previous tank there is no doubt you underwent a minor cycle. This combined with adding the trigger could have alone wiped everything out.

3. Bak Pak skimmers are, I hate to say it like this, practically worthless on two fronts. Unless you got the reef specific Bak Pak the blue plastic leaches nitrates due to additional bacterial filtration. I had one years ago and found on top of that it barely skimmed anything. Tunze makes a great skimmer for a tank your size.

3. Your salinty is low - try 1.025

4. Why did you put a new filter - (one that will only leech nitrates) on a nano-cube that should have built in filtration? If anything add an HOB UV sterilzer and turn the built in filtration into a refugium.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's all about research and not listening to Lfs they are just there to make a sale. Sorry for the loss.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks- I guess hindsight is 20/20
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2la
Thanks- I guess hindsight is 20/20
I assumed that the built in filter didn't seem like much so I bought a better one.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well the built in filter is all in how you use it. Foam, ceramic rings, carbon bags. All this is very basic filtration. Although these units are designed to be integrated and used with the filtration provided or as your witnessed water level fluctuations will occur. I would recommend doing the following. Remove any foam blocks, ceramic rings and carbon bags from your filter. Also disconnect and return the Fluval to your LFS if you can, you shouldn't need it.

Replace the carbon, foam and ceramic rings with live rock rubble and cheatomorpha macro algae. JBJ makes a great clamp on refuge light called a Nano-Grow - pick one of those up, they are pretty cheap. Run that clamped over the live rock rubble and macro algae 24/7. If you want I would recommend adding Purigen by SeaChem and PhosBan by Two Little Fishies, you could add some ChemiPure pro if you like also.

I would attempt to return the Bak Pak skimmer and get a Tunze Nano DOC 9001. They are easy to install and super efficient, should be about the same cost as your Bak Pak as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
Well you have a soup of problems here:

1. A humu humu triggerfish is not only oversized for your tank from a physical size standpoint but also a waste generation standpoint. It will also eat your inverts and most of your current fish.

2. Even though you added live rock and transferred things from your previous tank there is no doubt you underwent a minor cycle. This combined with adding the trigger could have alone wiped everything out.

3. Bak Pak skimmers are, I hate to say it like this, practically worthless on two fronts. Unless you got the reef specific Bak Pak the blue plastic leaches nitrates due to additional bacterial filtration. I had one years ago and found on top of that it barely skimmed anything. Tunze makes a great skimmer for a tank your size.

3. Your salinty is low - try 1.025

4. Why did you put a new filter - (one that will only leech nitrates) on a nano-cube that should have built in filtration? If anything add an HOB UV sterilzer and turn the built in filtration into a refugium.
Update: water has been cycling. Ammonia-0, nitrites-0, SG-1.025, nitrates- 5.
What kind of sterilizer would you recommend and how would I make the refugium? I started by putting LR and bought lettuce algae. JBJ glo light is coming.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Update: tank is doing great . The only problem is the CPR Bak pak- too big. Guess I'll wait for $ to get something that will fit since I went with the refug

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com