Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

All my fish died...

I'm a newby & I've had a 10gal salt water tank for about 1 1/2 yrs with sand snails, a cucumber?, hermits, clownfish, and a pseudo (purple). I recently bought a nano cube 28 & transferred everybody plus added more live rock, new sand, a damsel, and a bak pak skimmer- 3 wks ago. 2 wks ago a purchased a huma huma trigger which fit right in. I then decided to add a filter yesterday (fluval 306) which was creating havoc on water levels so I decided to leave it out. This morning all my fish were dead. Don't know what went wrong. What do you think & what to do now...

Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your water conditions? I'm sure that's gonna be first on everyone's mind. Can you give us a run down?

Sorry couldn't be more of a help to you, I'm new to the saltwater.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

On sunday I checked and also had my local store check my parameters. Everything was good maybe salt was a little high 1.023 so the guy told me. I think it was either the new filter or the fact that the trigger started eating the cucumber.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

1.023 is almsot on point for salinity...you want it at 1.025. Whoever told you that was high is way wrong. Know any of your other parameters?

Also, if your cucumber died in your tank it might have released toxins into your tank.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
1.023 is almsot on point for salinity...you want it at 1.025. Whoever told you that was high is way wrong. Know any of your other parameters?

Also, if your cucumber died in your tank it might have released toxins into your tank.
Depends on the type of cucumber but yes, that would be my guess. In addition, that is a awful big bio load for that size tank IMHO
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

A cuke and a trigger on top of a clown and a pseudo in a 10g tank is just asking for trouble. Sorry for your loss.

If the trigger ate the cuke, that likely killed everything. You did know they release toxins even if disturbed?

As a friendly piece of advice, pls research more on the inhabitants and their needs and cautions before you start buying again. That was way too much and the wrong stuff in a 10g tank. Maybe one fish, 2 crabs and 1 snail -that's it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
That was way too much and the wrong stuff in a 10g tank. Maybe one fish, 2 crabs and 1 snail -that's it.
OP stated he had upgraded to a 28g before adding more... Trigger included

---- OP I'm sorry for your loss!! :-(
Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I see now. Still, too much and the wrong things, even for a 28 IMO. Especially a trigger and a cuke.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

The trigger was really small & the cucumber was recommended. I guess live & learn.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
humu humu trigger was a terrible choice for a 28 gallon tank. Minimum tank size according to live Aquaria is 70 gallons.

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com