Almost ready for fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakaiguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally my first post outside the "getting started" section!!!

I finally have 29lbs of LR and I got a Coralife 50/50 bulb which looks great.

My parameters today were 0, 0 and 40. Im going out of state until Saturday so I think I'll do my first pwc and then go shopping!!!

Pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120916_204716.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120916_204716.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 163
  • ForumRunner_20120916_204737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120916_204737.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 139
  • ForumRunner_20120916_204803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120916_204803.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 141
  • ForumRunner_20120916_204830.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120916_204830.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 138
Thank you!!

Well being my first sw tank I'll be doing the usual clownfish pair and Im wondering if I could help raise a young (small) blue tang for maybe a year or until it gets into the 4" range.

Any thoughts on that??

Other than that I love the flame angel and there will probably be something pink that the girl will pick out. Any thoughts on that too??

thanks again

You might want to just get a clownfish pair to start and see how it goes. That's what I did.

How many gallons is that tank?

lakaiguy said:
Thank you!!

Well being my first sw tank I'll be doing the usual clownfish pair and Im wondering if I could help raise a young (small) blue tang for maybe a year or until it gets into the 4" range.

Any thoughts on that??

Other than that I love the flame angel and there will probably be something pink that the girl will pick out. Any thoughts on that too??

thanks again
The clown pair is fine, just please don't get maroon or tomato- they get too big for that size tank.

Not sure about the tang, they need a lot of room to dart around, even when they're still young. And do you already know someone who could take it when it's bigger? Or is this someone who is just planning on starting a tank? Cuz theres lots if times people plan to upgrade, but then don't cuz life and bills get in the way. Tangs are REALLY fast, so catching it, when the time comes, in a tank with rocks and a bunch of other fish would not be fun.

The flame angel would be fine in that size tank, might eat corals if you decide to some day get them. They're kinda hit or miss on that front. I had a dwarf angel that ate a whole bunch of my corals, had to basically take the tank apart to catch the bugger. Now he's in my FOWLR. :)

Can't think of many pink fish, other than anthias, which need a much bigger tank than yours.

There are lots of beautiful fish that will work in a 30g, though!!

I have clowns and a pajama cardinal in my 29 gallon. . He is so cute. Thinking about getting another one to pair him up.

Update:

Finally put in my first additions

1 aiptasia demolishing peppermint shrimp!!
1 ninja star snail
4 regular snails (forgot name)

So far they're doing a great job. The pep shrimp absolutely destroyed 3 small aiptasia the first two nights and the snails cruise around all over.

My sand is looking a little dirty and discoloured. Is it gobys that filter the sand?? The snails will burrow and move around the sand bed but it doesn't look like theyre doing a whole lot.

The ninja star snail is awesome he cruises all over the glass and looks awesome.

Looks good. Nassaris snails are good for stirring sand. As far as gobies I know the diamond gobies sift through it well. I personally use the nassaris snails myself and the occasional manual hand stirring before a water change.

Got my first fish finally

Two very charismatic clownfish

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121004_083833.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121004_083833.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 88
Update:

Picked up a tank mate for the clowns today!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121007_114830.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121007_114830.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20121007_114903.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121007_114903.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 65
Nice! I bought a coral beauty a few months ago.. Unfortunately it didn't make it, I think it was my fault.. Didn't acclimate properly :( want to try again though now that I know to acclimate it properly. Beautiful fish!

Bummer sorry to hear that.

Do you have other fish that are doing ok??

Just wanna make sure its not your water conditions that caused the loss.

I did the float method and this sheila did great. Seems very happy and comfortable.

Does anyone know if the color changes at all with maturity??

The coral beauties are just that... beautiful. I wanted one, well it was between that and a cherub, but I chose corals instead. Angel fish aren't reef safe just remember that when your thinking of buying that awesome coral for 50 bucks! Don't do it! LOL. I've heard some cases where they never mess with them but I wouldn't take the chance. Nice fish though!

Back
Top Bottom