Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Am I doing this right?

Here is my setup. I have a 110 gal XH FOWLR with about 100 lbs of LR. Could probably use more. I am using a wet/dry with no bio balls but LR rubble. My skimmer and heater are in the sump pulling out crud and maintaining temps. I have a decent pump moving lots of water. About 260 watts of light on a timer. Things look pretty good and checking all the stats my tank is where it should be chemically. Every now and then I do lose a fish, maybe once every 3 to 4 weeks. Does this sound normal or am I missing something?

Old 10-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

when you say your stats are where they should be... can you post actual numbers?

nitrates, nitrites, amon, pH, temp, salinity, etc

do your fish act strange before they kick off? Also, what sorts of fish have you lost?

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #3

Tank

I can't give any numbers since all I have is the strips. What else could I use? A Naso Tang, a Lawnmower Bleny, Bird Rasse, and a Coral Beauty. I have two Tangs left and one is a Purple Tang that at the moment looks like he's covered like it's Ich. I had quarantined him about a month ago and he cleared up overnight. A guy at my LFS said he has had those and they get these dots when they are stressed. I am adding some pics. Also I have 2 Pajama Cardinals and one has some hazy stuff over his eyes. I'm really getting close to changing hobbies.

[img][/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #4

Now could someone tell me how to include photos?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
hit the reply button at the top of the post (not the quick reply), and you will see the place to browse to add your photo, then submit
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A fish every 3 to 4 weeks is definitely not normal. I QT all my fish (thanks steve-s) and have had deaths in QT but I have never lost a fish in my main. First thing I would suggest is getting some good test kits and posting your parameters like mykpoz suggested. I thought the strips had a reference sheet that gave a estimate reading from the colors?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your setup sounds good. Can you list the dimensions of your tank? Quantitating your parameters is a good idea. Those test strips are not the most accurate. Loosing a fish every three to four weeks is way out of the ordinary. How soon are they dying after you put them in? How are you acclimating? Are they eating? If so, what are you feeding? What is the timeline of the losses? Need to know NH3, NO2, NO3, Ph, SG and temp for now.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #8

What else can be used besides the strips that would give me a good reading. My tank is 48 x 18 x31. As far as food I give them flakes, vegy type flakes, shrimp, The Lawnmowere survived a tank change and had been going for about 5 months. The others not quite as long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4404.jpg (104.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #9

Here is the fish with the covered eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4410.jpg (55.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #10

Here is the Purple Tang with the spots. I know this belongs in a different group but wanted to see if all of this is related.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4403.jpg (19.2 KB, 39 views)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com