am i getting screwed on some live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've been getting my live rock at my lfs, and it always seems to have a great growth of coraline on it, but its seems the only hitchhiker i've had is a feather duster. Should i expect a lot more stuff on my rock, or is it also normal not to get many hitchhikers? What hitchhikers have u got on ur live rock?

If you have good coraline then I would say you did okay. The amount of life you get on the rock depends on how it was collected. The longer it is out of the water the more die off you will experience. Rock that is shipped in water (like from tampabaysaltwater) ships directly to you thus it will have more life on it. Yours still has all the beneficial life to be a living filter. If you want more hitchhikers you can order a small amount from tampabay saltwater, or a place similar. :)

Rock from your LFS has probably been inspected and the common hitchhikers like crabs, shrimp, etc have been removed. The LFS has little to benifit from giving you free what they could remove and sell seperate. Most rock that people talk about being loaded with hitchhikers will be aquaculture rock from FL.

yes, there are a few that are good. Look for Darin on this forum he runs captiveraisedcorals.com. Also logical reef is good, and phishybusiness.com

also keep in mind that it will take a while for stuff to grow on LR. good critters might be there and be dromant. I have seen starfish in my tank for the first time several months after introducing the rock

Of course buy online and paying shipping might end up costing the same as buy LR from your LFS and then buying a kits of small critters. Look at the overall cost.

We bought our live rock from here:

http://www.gulf-view.com/

couldn't have been more satisfied! Dale is a great guy, give him a call first if you want, you won't be disappointed!

Our rock had all kinds of things growing on it and some great hitch hikers too, we're getting ready to order even more from him this week. $133 shipped next day, can't beat that.

Hec

And then there is our sponsor liverocks.com

There are pictures galore in the forums with their rock featured in them.

I have LR from Liverocks.com and Gulf-view. Both had excellent rock and great service. The rock I got from gulf-view had more coraline algae and sponges on it though. It had red, oranges and purples. Only down side was the turkey wing clams on the rock. I still have some alive but a couple died and it fouled my water. I tried to cure the rock so maybe that did not help.

Both places recommend to just place the rock in the tank and both shipments came fast and smelled good. The rock I got from liverocks.com went straight into the tank and I have seen hardly any ammonia spike.

HTH :D

Liverocks.com took great care of me when we had problems with the shipping. I was very satisfied with the rock and the custoemr service was incredible!

Back
Top Bottom