Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish types I will leave for someone else. If youy want to research some different types you can goto www.fantasyreef.com and find out what would be suited for a tank of your size. HTH.

LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

You need to let your tank cycle aleast 4 weeks before you add any fish

Old 08-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i added the peppermint shrimp to help with the cycle, but i do plan on taking the shirmp back tomorrow as the spikes would end up killing him... sorry folks, forgot about that part hehe as for the raw shrimp, does it have to be straight from the gorcery store? or can it be frozen? just wondering because my mom has frozen shrimp. would be easier than driving down to the grocery store when i have some at home.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Frozen shrimp are fine. I would put 2 or more. I cycledmy tank with 3 big ones. Watch out for the smell it can get really funkie
Old 08-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

lol oh goodie
Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
i added the peppermint shrimp to help with the cycle, but i do plan on taking the shirmp back tomorrow as the spikes would end up killing him
Great idea! The raw fish will provide the start of ammonia, that will spike and you should then see nitrItes spike and the ammonia decline. Last will be a spike of nitrAtes and the decline of the nitrItes. When all these read 0, your cycle will be complete. If you have a 55G, one or two raw/unseasoned shrimp should be enough. The cycle could take anywhere from 4-6 weeks. You just have to be patient and wait. You should start seeing new stuff growing on your LR soon as well.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkx3
You need to let your tank cycle aleast 4 weeks before you add any fish
That's ridiculous. You can add a handful of damsels as soon as your salinity settles. They'll make it. Trust me.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most people here strongly recommend against using live creatures to cycle the tank. The cycling process creates two toxic cycles that the fish have to suffer through. They may very well die from the ordeal.

The raw shrimp method is very effective and IMO works faster. I used one LARGE JUMBO shrimp in my 46gal and in 1 week I had high levels of ammonia and nitrites. My tank cycled very fast and had the first fish added in about 3 weeks. I put in 2 large damsels because they are hardy and the tank was very immature.

By the way:: any raw, non-marinated shrimp will work fine. 99% of the "fresh" shrimp sold by your local fish market have been pre-frozen whether they admit it or not.

A stable, mature tank is far better for the introduction of fish than a freshly cycled pristine tank with little to no bio-diversity.

If I learned anything about SW aquariums it is - DON"T RUSH IT, Patients will pay big dividends.

Just my 2 cents
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Most people here strongly recommend against using live creatures to cycle the tank. The cycling process creates two toxic cycles that the fish have to suffer through. They may very well die from the ordeal.
I strongly agree. The fishless cycle is much more humane than throwing a handful of fish into a sewage pit.

Quote:
If I learned anything about SW aquariums it is - DON"T RUSH IT, Patients will pay big dividends.
Another sound piece of advice.

Quote:
That's ridiculous. You can add a handful of damsels as soon as your salinity settles. They'll make it. Trust me.
I bet there are some folks here, that were told this and lost their damsels.

But, that is just my opinion/experience.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cycled my tank for 1 month and a half and then got fish. Belive me I wanted to put fish right in right away like freshwater but you can.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com