Am I the only one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrkalot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am I the only one that truly has a FO tank? It seems that everyone at least has some LR and other critters.

Heck there is no shame in it. I was thinking about starting one up for my folk in their house that would be a straight FO with a wet/dry. Would be fairly simply to maintain when compared to my reef tank...

Hi wrkalot,
I recently converted my 90g FO to a somewhat FOWLR type tank. I say this because all I did was add 110 lbs of LR and left my wet/dry running.
Even before the LR, my FO was doing very well. The tank has been moved once, but has been set up for about 15 yrs. I've been able to keep an adult Imperator, Blueface & French together for 11 yrs before they passed on. Believe it or not despite the controversy of wet/dry's being nitrate factories, my nitrate level for the last few years prior to the addition of the LR was only 10 ppm and this was achieved with only 4 to 6 25% water changes yearly.
So FO's are fine IMO, heck, I consider my 90g a FO with LR more so than a FOWLR.

When I set up my first reef...the day I added the LR, I swore to myself and my wife, I would never again set up a tank that didn't use LR (or base rock) as the "decorations". The look, even before adding inverts and fish was just so much more natural and pleasing. That has been many years ago and I have kept that promise and intend to.

Back
Top Bottom