Ammonia after new additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just added 6 snails and a peppermint shrimp to my 38g tank. I guess my question is once the cycle is done and you start adding things , like what I have added or more fish , will the ammonia spike real high or will bb grow faster since the cycle is done. I added the snails and shrimp yesterday and I would like to get one or two clownfish this Saturday. How long do u or have you waited before adding new fish ?

If the cycle is complete and you were able to track the relevant parameters rise and fall, then adding in a small amount of livestock at a time like that shouldn't cause any spikes. That might be a slight rise, but if you tank is cycled, the live rock and filter media should handle it just fine.

How were you cycling the tank and how long it take to complete?

fouldsy said:
If the cycle is complete and you were able to track the relevant parameters rise and fall, then adding in a small amount of livestock at a time like that shouldn't cause any spikes. That might be a slight rise, but if you tank is cycled, the live rock and filter media should handle it just fine.

How were you cycling the tank and how long it take to complete?

I cycled with raw shrimp and despite what everyone has said I did have some damsels in there early on but they are fine and love the tank. It was about 2 and a half 3 weeks to cycle . Ammonia was 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates were up to 40 ppm , I did a water change and they are down to .5

Back
Top Bottom