Ammonia and nitrites in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tested my tap water and it had .25 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite. What can I do to remove this? Would ro/di remove these?is there a liquid to take these out? Thanks.

there are products that buffer and remove most ammonia but dosnt remove the other bad stuff like metals, but if its for a sw tank most people would recommend using ro/di water. its pure 0ppm water its best for sw

So with RO/DI water, you just mix in the sand and its fine for aquarium use? Also, what would leaving the water overnight do to the tests?

you use the ro/di water in place of tap water... So you mix salt with it for PWC's. Letting chlorinated water sit will allows the chlorine to dissipate. Doesn't do anything for Chloramines though which are a derivative of chlorine being used in many municipal water supplies. Worse then chlorine IMO. Better to use RO, DI, RO/DI, distilled or pre-mix...

nope..though it never hurts to have them on hand to quell an ammonia outbreak or the like

It's all a matter of opinion. Some run reefs w/ tap water which is the one end of the spectrum. Others are the pure RO/DI (0 tds people). In between is RO (.04-07 tds), DI (about the same), distilled (0 tds for small tanks). Depends on your budget and inclination. I use my Ro/di on occassion but have come to use the Culligen (sp) machine at the Walmart close to me. .03 tds @ 28 cents a gallon. $7 for 25 gallons is cheaper (for me) than the waste water and the .03 tds hasn't caused any noticeable harm. I can live w/ $14 a month and save the time and water waste. Anyone wanna buy an RO/DI? :)

Back
Top Bottom