Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ammonia and Nitrites showed up. PLEASE Help!!

a couple pieces of my LR fell over and in an attempt to fix them I actually knocked over another piece. During the process of fixing everything, things got shaken up quite a bit and my clown got stressed I think. I did a water change and added some of the Kent Ammonia Detox but I still have ammonia at .25ppm and nitrites between 0-.25ppm. My nitrates are around 30. Please offer any help/advice that might help! My clown appears to be acting close to normal now, but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd28
a couple pieces of my LR fell over and in an attempt to fix them I actually knocked over another piece. During the process of fixing everything, things got shaken up quite a bit and my clown got stressed I think. I did a water change and added some of the Kent Ammonia Detox but I still have ammonia at .25ppm and nitrites between 0-.25ppm. My nitrates are around 30. Please offer any help/advice that might help! My clown appears to be acting close to normal now, but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

Thanks!!!
The clown will be ok as long as the parameters go back soon. The water quality is y he was stressed

Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok so will the ammonia and nitrites naturally go back down or do I need to do something? I did a pretty substantial water change today and added the ammonia detox and there are still slight amounts present. I've been told that nitrates between 20-30ppm are fine (not ideal) fish, but obviously the ammonia and nitrites need to get back to 0
Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

BTW I really appreciate your help. I am new to the hobby and I am really paranoid that something will happen to my clown while I'm at work or something
Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #5

Quote:
BTW I really appreciate your help. I am new to the hobby and I am really paranoid that something will happen to my clown while I'm at work or something
No he will be ok my tank did the same to me and I have 3 clowns. Give the tank a day or to if it is the same so 10 to15% wc
Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright I'll give it a day and hopefully everything will level out. Thanks for your advice
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Alright I'll give it a day and hopefully everything will level out. Thanks for your advice
Ya anytime you need help let me no
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it doesnt drop back down do another waterchange. Dont give up, we all get paranoid when we have a sick/stressed fish. I think but am not sure about the ammonia thing. If its like ammo lock it will make ammonia non toxic but it will still come up on tests. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks man. My buddy who owns a lfs near me had me add some live sand seed into my sand which he said would help turn nitrates into a gas faster, and also advised me to do a bigger water change. Waited a couple of hours before testing and got nitrites back to 0, nitrates down from 30 to 10 and the ammonia appears to be either down to 0 or at a very small level that is below .25 ppm. So hopefully if there is any remaining ammonia it will get broken down soon and my clown will be ok. Assuming I get my tank stable, within the next 1-2 weeks I'm going to add another fish

Tags
ammonia, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com