Ammonia and Nitrites showed up. PLEASE Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesd28

Aquarium Advice Activist
a couple pieces of my LR fell over and in an attempt to fix them I actually knocked over another piece. During the process of fixing everything, things got shaken up quite a bit and my clown got stressed I think. I did a water change and added some of the Kent Ammonia Detox but I still have ammonia at .25ppm and nitrites between 0-.25ppm. My nitrates are around 30. Please offer any help/advice that might help! My clown appears to be acting close to normal now, but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

Thanks!!!

jamesd28 said:
a couple pieces of my LR fell over and in an attempt to fix them I actually knocked over another piece. During the process of fixing everything, things got shaken up quite a bit and my clown got stressed I think. I did a water change and added some of the Kent Ammonia Detox but I still have ammonia at .25ppm and nitrites between 0-.25ppm. My nitrates are around 30. Please offer any help/advice that might help! My clown appears to be acting close to normal now, but I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

Thanks!!!

The clown will be ok as long as the parameters go back soon. The water quality is y he was stressed

Ok so will the ammonia and nitrites naturally go back down or do I need to do something? I did a pretty substantial water change today and added the ammonia detox and there are still slight amounts present. I've been told that nitrates between 20-30ppm are fine (not ideal) fish, but obviously the ammonia and nitrites need to get back to 0

BTW I really appreciate your help. I am new to the hobby and I am really paranoid that something will happen to my clown while I'm at work or something

jamesd28 said:
BTW I really appreciate your help. I am new to the hobby and I am really paranoid that something will happen to my clown while I'm at work or something

No he will be ok my tank did the same to me and I have 3 clowns. Give the tank a day or to if it is the same so 10 to15% wc

Alright I'll give it a day and hopefully everything will level out. Thanks for your advice

jamesd28 said:
Alright I'll give it a day and hopefully everything will level out. Thanks for your advice

Ya anytime you need help let me no :)

If it doesnt drop back down do another waterchange. Dont give up, we all get paranoid when we have a sick/stressed fish:). I think but am not sure about the ammonia thing. If its like ammo lock it will make ammonia non toxic but it will still come up on tests. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks man. My buddy who owns a lfs near me had me add some live sand seed into my sand which he said would help turn nitrates into a gas faster, and also advised me to do a bigger water change. Waited a couple of hours before testing and got nitrites back to 0, nitrates down from 30 to 10 and the ammonia appears to be either down to 0 or at a very small level that is below .25 ppm. So hopefully if there is any remaining ammonia it will get broken down soon and my clown will be ok. Assuming I get my tank stable, within the next 1-2 weeks I'm going to add another fish :)

Back
Top Bottom