Ammonia Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I was just wondering if using ammonia lock is safe for fish and is recommended. My ammonia levels were at 0 until I added a Koran Angel. He has only been in their for a day and the ammonia levels jumped to somewhere between 0 and .25 (color is in between on test kit). Should I let the tank take care of it naturally or is this harmful enough where it should bet taken care of immediatly?

Are your plastic decorations hollow in the bottom? The reason I ask is I saw a post where the water was becoming stagnant inside the deco, and if I remember correctly, that caused an ammonia spike....

If your tank is well established and is more than 20 gallons then I would let the tank take care of itself. Check the level in a few days. 0.25 isn't anything to worry about. If it goes up more then try a 10-15% water change before this ammonia lock stuff.

By any chance did u put the Koran Angel in the 29g tank that u have listed on ur info page. If so that tank is wayyyyy too small for that fish. May be part of the problem, may not be.

PS Ammonia Lock is a waste of money.

I just had my tank crash last weekend and I am worried now that maybe it is due to the plastic (hollowed out inside) decoration I have in my tank. I feel I need to take it out but what is the best way to go about doing it. I know that sounds funny but my concern is that if it is from this decoration, should I remove as I am doing a water change and hold the vaccum by where I am going to lift up the decoration and expose this water that is underneath so that maybe it gets sucked up in the vacuum and out of the tank. I am on the down side hopefully of my water getting back to normal and don't want to mess up things again but now I feel that I should remove that rock decoration although I like it very much.

hold the vaccum by where I am going to lift up the decoration

That sounds like a plan.

Did the ammonia come down at all, yet?

Haven't been able to check it yet. I do not own my own test kit yet. I believe it has because the fish and water look better.

Well, I ended up taking down my tank because of financial issues. I am hoping to be back up by the first of the year. I just want to caution anyone using plastic hollowed out decorations. When I lifted up the hollowed out rock in my tank, you could smell the stinch from across the room. I am now wondering if that was the problem to begin with. I will not use these any longer in my tank. Hope to be flowing again real soon. Thanks for all of the advice yall have given me along the way.

Back
Top Bottom