ammonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiniReef2004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank for over a year, and all of a sudden my soft corals polyps arent coming out. I tested my water, and I have had a huge ammonia spike. There isn't anything dead in my tank that I can see, however I have a flowerpot coral and a candy cane that arent the healthiest, but they arent dead. Should I pull these two out and see if the spike goes away? Or could it be a lack of cleaners? For some reason my cleaner snails live about a month then die off. Any advice would be appreciated.

What kind of snails? Turbos are cool water snails and only live a few months in the average tank at 78 to 80 degrees. The flowerpot may have polyps that are dying but the whole might look OK. I would add a generous portion of GAC to the filtration and maybe some Prime to the water when you do a larger water change(15 to 25%)would be good. It will also help to cut back some on the feeding for a few days.

Kat is exactly right. water changes are first order of Buss. Chemi pure makes a resin in a bag that works good in removing Ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom