Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Munskins
Amplicillex bad for Live Rock?

*If you are not familiar with Amplicillex it is a wide spectrum Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial Capsules that help aide fin rot.

It said in the directions that if used as directed it is safe for biological filter beds. Does that mean its safe for live rock?

Ingredients: 250mg capsules of water soluble ampicillin trihydrate activity

Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I could definitely be wrong, but I don't understand how a wide-spectrum antibiotic (anti-bacterial) could not be harmful toward the beneficial bacteria in LR.
I don't think antibiotics are "selective" as far as which bacteria they kill.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here, but I don't think I'd use it with LR.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Why are you wanting to use this? If you have a sick fish then quarinteeen it in a hospital tank.

As a general rule you should never add medication to your display tank unless its absolutly critical

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Antibiotics will be harmful to the inverts on the rock. Any antibiotic has thepotential to destroy your biological filter.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:18 PM   #5

Well, It does say on the box that it is safe for biological filter beds. So correct me if im wrong but isnt live rock a biological filter?

fishfreek: i wanted to put it in the quarantine tank with the fish because this fish needs the live rock to live (green madarine goby)

although if there is a risk, id rather not take it since the rock is worth more than the fish.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:24 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
So correct me if im wrong but isnt live rock a biological filter?
You're not wrong, LR is a biological filter - but, it is a biological filter because of the live *bacteria*. Again, an antibiotic is not specific in what bacteria it kills.
I don't understand how they can market it as being "safe" for biological filters, when biological filters are based on beneficial bacteria.

Quote:
i wanted to put it in the quarantine tank with the fish because this fish needs the live rock to live (green madarine goby)
The Mandarin is going to need a lot more than this rock to survive. I'm pretty sure I posted in the other thread where you were asking about this. In any case, this single 8lb piece of LR is pretty much irrelevant to the Mandarin's survival - so don't take the chance and put the LR in the Q tank.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:17 PM   #7

Sorry about being so repetitive . So what else does it need besides live rock? live sand?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
So what else does it need besides live rock? live sand?
Mandarins need approx 75-100 lbs of mature LR per fish, maybe a little less if you have a DSB. The LR and LS would have to have been free of micropredators for at least 6 mos. There is a finite number of pods for the fish to eat on your 8 lb piece of rock and they only reproduce so fast. The fish will hunt and eat every pod on that rock in about 2-3 hours and then it's back to starving. It is highly recommended that you return this fish to the LFS or find a reefer capable of taking care of this fish.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:48 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Munkskins ~ Kevin & I both posted about this at length in this initial thread:

--->Green Mandarin, They think its food!

Even if this fish manages to make it through quarantine, it is not being housed with compatible tank mates. I strongly urge you to return this fish to the LFS.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
moving topic to a more appropriate location

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com