an appropriate eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea sounds like with what you got hed be eating pretty good!! Lol, Eels are awesome creatures but the fact is I wouldnt recommend getting one for the long haul unless you got at least a hundred gallon tank or more, just because they grow so fast so quick. But it sounds like you got a pretty good setup as you are. That Mandarin would def be donezo as well, cause hes soo close to the ground all the time. He might go in the wrong dark cave to look for food and WHAAAAAP!! :(

I think everyone has been thinking of moray eels (Muraenidae), which are predatory. However, there are quite a few smaller eels out there in other families that would be safe with fish and larger inverts. I'm not sure if too many of them show up in the aquarium trade, but I know at least one group does - the garden eels. These are burrowing species that hang out in large groups on sandy bottom with their heads and part of their body poking out of the sand (thus looking like a garden of eels). They feed on plankton, which they snatch from the passing current. Many of the species are quite brightly coloured.

Tony

Garden eels also need a very deep sand bed and can be difficult to get eating. Certainly something I would only suggest to the most advanced hobbiest.

Sounds like an eel is not the right choice for me, just always on the lookout for the 'different"
thanks for the info. :)

You could start another tank and put your eel in it. I have nassirus snails in mine and so far so good. The snowflake moray eel is a good hardy eel. You can see mine in my images.

Eels are awesome, I keep a few myself. Unfortunately, there are sacrafices that need to be made when considering keeping them. Just like most other preditory fish like puffers, lions, etc., a trimmed down clean up crew is necessary. Mine have never bothered snails or stars but crabs and shrimp are all fair game. As Mike said though, you could set up another tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom