Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, just read your last post. they sold you used water? That is definitely no bueno. That water is the water you want to REMOVE from your tank with regular water changes. It is probably high in nitrates and low in alk/calcium. Even that water is not cycled, the beneficial bacteria is on the rocks and filtration media, not the water.
If I were you, I would seriously look into finding a new fish store. It actually makes me really mad that a store owner would be so shady.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the advice, Kimlafeiet! This is my first time and I am definitely learning as I go along.... Well, I am ordering some porous rocks through Amazon in a few minutes; I am searching for the test kit to add to my order.

1 blue- green Chromis, 2 bi- colored Chromis, 3 black and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 orange and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 Banggai cardinalfish, 11 Turban snails (1 died), 6 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and lots of love....
lgdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh!.... I already have another store that I will be going to from now on, too. I thought that what they were doing was best! I guess not. :/
1 blue- green Chromis, 2 bi- colored Chromis, 3 black and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 orange and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 Banggai cardinalfish, 11 Turban snails (1 died), 6 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and lots of love....
Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdav View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, Bectan01! The store tells me that I can get some cycling fish because the water they brought over to me was cycled water. I'm not sure what my parameters are because I have to get the test kit. I'm researching to find my best option.

I have two questions for you:
(1) Do you still think it is cruel to put the fish through this process with already cycled water? I have read about the cycling using RO/DI water but it's not the case here. I'm interested to know what you think.

(2) What test kit would you recommend I get?

Thanks again!!!

~Liza
God, what an awful fish store....

I would 100% recommend that you bleach EVERYTHING in that tank, including the sand. You never ever want to put water from a lfs into your system because the chances of introducing pests is unbelievably high.

The advice given by the others is good advice as well.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
the store tells me that i can get some cycling fish because the water they brought over to me was cycled water. I'm not sure what my parameters are because i have to get
no no no stop......
first off water does not hold the bb bacteria needed
rock and sand are what hold the bb ,
adding fish is only adding stress to the fish and it will be dead in a day if not sooner
adding a deli shrimp will boost your ammonia let it spike to about 4ppm than remove the shrimp now your cycle will begin takes between 4/8 weeks
first you will see your ammonia spike than nitrites than nitrates
once your ammonia goes down to 0ppm nitrites 0 nitrates come down to about 10ppm
now it's time for your first water change
in your 36g I would say 10g to drop the nitrates to almost 0ppm

now your cycled and ready to add your first fish
just remember go slow add 1 wait 3/4 weeks do this your first 3 fish than you can start 1 fish every 2 weeks untill you reach your stocking limit
most inverts should be added last so there's enough food to sustain them
please ignore your fish store as they are a tad off base
it is inhuman to kill a living creature to cycle your tank
when you get better results with a 25cent piece of shrimp
remember when I told you rushing gets you no where fast
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with Mebbid - throw out all the water and start again. Might as well clean everything with vinegar (except the rocks - just use hot water for those otherwise they could hold onto the vinegar and leach it back out later) to reduce the chance of any nasties that may have come in the water. Once everything's clean, full it up with clean saltwater and start cycling without fish.

Joseph Granata
Old 11-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, guys! I'm going to buy the shrimp on Saturday.

I did my first batch of tests yesterday with the kit I ordered.

Marine PH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.01
Nitrate 0.05
Temp 78

I ordered 10 lbs of dry base rock from Amazon and I received it yesterday. I am planning to put them in the tank this weekend. They are 3 nice- sized pieces! I rinsed them well under tap water and they are on a towel drying off. Meanwhile, I am feeding my tank MicroBacter7 every morning.

I am going slow. I don't want to mess up! Therefore, all suggestions are more than welcomed!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm going to test my water for the 2nd time soon. Meanwhile, I'm looking into purchasing parts to piece together a sump. What will I need? I'm thinking of:

a 20 gallon sump system
a 65- 75 gallon protein skimmer (I understand that I take my 36 gal and add it to the 20 gal to get 56 gal)
a (better) heater
a pump

What else? I'm building my list. I'very been reading about the advantages of protein skimmers and having a sump/ refugium and, based on what I learned, I'll try my best to get a sump in as soon as I can.

Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

And it's FINALLY taking off! My 1st FOWLR!!! ;)

Make sure you research a lot about how to plumb a sump. I would also suggest posting your design on here to have some people with experience in sumps give you suggestions. When I was designing my tank I spent six months designing and redesigning the sump/plumbing with a lot of help from more experienced people. However, I can say that I'm truly happy with how it turned out and I don't have any problems with it.

Also, if you're considering a refugium, I would suggest watching this debate from MACNA (the video's at the bottom of the article): http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/29/g...ks-macna-2014/

Specifically, Jake's points about trying to cram everything into one small space were really eye opening. Think about the things he talks about and that should help you decide what you really want out of your refugium and also how to maximize its efficiency.

Joseph Granata
Old 11-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember, were here for your best interest. We aren't trying to sell you anything. The LFS is.

A personally would never do a tank without a sump. If you don't want to build one, one off ebay may not be too bad ( 18 Gal Refugium Sump Wet Dry Aquarium Filter 30x9x15 Great Value High Quality | eBay )

Next, you need a powerhead. Jebao makes nice adjustable ones ( http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-WP-10-Aq...rds=jebao+wp10 )

Also, a skimmer. These are a bubble magus knock off and have good reviews
New SC Aquariums SCA 302 180 Gallon Protein Skimmer Slate Water Atman Pump Gift | eBay
Factory Direct Sale 65 Gallon Protein Skimmer SCA 301 | eBay

I would HIGHLY recommend your own RO/DI unit. This gives you pure water you can mix salt with.
Aquarium Reef Reverse Osmosis 5 Stage Ro Di System 50 GPD Made in USA | eBay

That should get you off to a good start!

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com