And it's FINALLY taking off! My 1st FOWLR!!! ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Joseph! I was looking at stuff on Amazon for ideas and whatnot to then ask for advice.... Sillyfishies- you are AWESOME!!! It's EXACTLY what I was looking for- a list of decent equipment I can invest in so I can mount it!

I'll keep you guys posted; my ammonia is on the rise! ;)

You will also need to drill the tank, or get a HOB overflow. Drilled tanks are more fail safe. This is to get water from your tank to your sump. You will then need a pump to pump water from your sump to your tank. I don't really have any recommendations. I know mag drives are most people believe are the best.

I agree that drilling the tank is way better than using an HOB overflow. The only problem with that is that you'll have to have something to put everything in while you drill and clean the tank and work on the plumbing... This'll probably take 24 hours if you do it efficiently.

Here are my suggestions in regards to plumbing:
-Use hard PVC and use as many unions as possible so it's easy to disconnect your pipes to clean/maintain/etc.
-Use as few separate pieces of PVC as possible - the more connections, the greater the flow loss due to resistance. Similarly, elbows are the devil :)
-You can use a piece of nylon flex tube to connect the pump to the PVC to minimize vibration

Joseph Granata

Thanks! I'll definitely look into these things.... Boy, oh boy! I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But I'm in it so I must look to make it right!!!

36g can get by with out a sump as long as there is a good skimmer,
Liza is already set up dont tell her she needs to tear down and start over to drill tank, it's unnecessary , if she wants a sump she has other options hob overflows are available they require no drilling , and you don't get all those ugly pvc tubes overflow/intake inside the tank , hobs are more cleaner looking for appearance , and also for maintenance
I run hobs on my 90g and love them , my friend has a drilled tank he hates the fact he cant stack rocks because of all the piping inside his tank , side by side I can clean my whole system in a hr as it takes him 2/3hrs
another thing drilled tanks like to suck fish into sump , as with the hob they cant get by the screen preventing your fish to take a ride to the sump

I agree with red. Hob overflows aren't that bad. I love the CPR overflows. The aqua lifter gives me that extra piece of mind just incase, though my setup has survived siphon loss without any overflow...was very close though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:banghead:

I don't like the idea of drilling!!! I'm already set up; I'm sure I can find a simpler way....

:banghead:

I don't like the idea of drilling!!! I'm already set up; I'm sure I can find a simpler way....

stop banging your head I'm getting a headache
like I said in post 26 you dont need to drill
you can do a hob overflow no worries (y)
this is the type of overflow I use
k2-_aa66a93c-55bb-453a-a98b-c33c994ebd5b.v1.jpg

it's self priming and less of a chance for sumps flooding out costs a few $ more than the standard type but worth it

stop banging your head I'm getting a headache
like I said in post 26 you dont need to drill
you can do a hob overflow no worries (y)
this is the type of overflow I use
k2-_aa66a93c-55bb-453a-a98b-c33c994ebd5b.v1.jpg

it's self priming and less of a chance for sumps flooding out costs a few $ more than the standard type but worth it

Seaweed what is the model of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

here's the link to it I'm about to order another for my other tank

Tom Overflow Box with Auto Start & Stop - Walmart.com

Thanks! I think I'll go that route. I'll order it next week. ;)

My tank is doing beautifully!!! I've been testing every two days. I'm cycling with fish food and MicroBacter7. I have seen the ammonia rise and fall to untraceable amounts, nitrates peak and drop, and now I have the awaited rise in nitrites. I met an aquarist online who told me that: (1) I need 10 more pounds of live sand, (2) I need a protein skimmer, and (3) It'll be at least 2 more weeks before I can start adding any livestock.

YES. I'm taking it S-L-O-W....

Thanks! I think I'll go that route. I'll order it next week. ;)

My tank is doing beautifully!!! I've been testing every two days. I'm cycling with fish food and MicroBacter7. I have seen the ammonia rise and fall to untraceable amounts, nitrates peak and drop, and now I have the awaited rise in nitrites. I met an aquarist online who told me that: (1) I need 10 more pounds of live sand, (2) I need a protein skimmer, and (3) It'll be at least 2 more weeks before I can start adding any livestock.

YES. I'm taking it S-L-O-W....

if I remember right didn't you have like 30lbs sand
thats more than enough
I have 20 lbs in my 37g bow front I keep a 1 1/2 inch sand bed
if you don't have sifters to sift through the extra deep bed why have it
yes some prefer 4 / 5 inch deep sand beds I think it's over kill

I only got 10 lbs of sand because it's all the LFS had at the time. At present, it has 10 lbs of black live sand, 10 lbs live rock, and 10 lbs dry rock in there. I'll probably pick up the other 10 lbs of sand sometime today. I want it sooner than later; I don't want to cause a 2nd tank cycle.... ;)

The tank is doing great! I added one blue- green Chromis and two bi- colored Chromis to the tank last night. I'll post pics later or tomorrow once I put up my laptop.... Let the adventures with livestock begin! ;)

54seaweed: I have the sand and it's waiting to be added. I'll have the help on Friday, though, so I have to wait. My arthritis is acting up and my entire upper body is hurting. My knees are wanting to lock in place and my lower back feels like needles are poking at it. I don't feel stable enough to handle the bag and reorganize the rocks. :/

When water changes are needed, I found a guy who can come and do it for me if my hubby isn't home. He's been in the hobby for 10 years. I need to put up my laptop and upload pics but it's too heavy for me right now (maybe in an hour after my meds kick in; I took it yesterday to school).

It looks like the aquarium is thriving! My 3 fishes are doing well, thank God, and the dry rock is becoming live rock. What a fascinating world this is!.... Thanks for asking!!!

Back
Top Bottom