anemone and clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mav

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently bought a ritteri anemone and my clownfish arent even noticing it. They are both true perculas and i was wondering how long it takes for them to even notice it and "go inside of it". And also if there is anything that i can do about it.

No, Theres nothing you can do about it. And they might not even host the anemone, You'll just have to wait and see. I have 2 Black and White perculas and they took about 1-2 weeks for the female to host it, And the male took about 2-3 months. Now they're starting to make a nest under the anemone.

So there is no guarantee that they'll host it.

Very hard to keep that anemone. Please return to the lfs. Clownfish do not need an anenome to host. They will host whatever they find in the tank to their liking.
IMO (having had 2 anemomes die over 6 years), these creaturs should be left in the ocean where they can live very long lives (much longer than our tanks will be around),

Yeah, the whole nem and perc in a tank concept is pretty outrageous. It's a total hit or miss thing and most of the time.. it's a miss. I've seen way more people come in here asking when their percs will host nems then i've seen people saying their percs are hosting nems lol. And i totally agree with cmor on this one. Nems should live out their lives in the ocean, not in our tanks where they not only live unhappy lives.. but if they die, they could nuke the rest of the tank.. damaging or killing the rest of the inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom