Anemone Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sub ceroh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always loved the way that anemone look and I was wondering if I would be able to get one with the fish I currently have and if so which one? My current setup is 1 spotted gobie, 1 false percula clown, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 red serpent starfish, 12 blue leg hermit crabs. My LFS said yeah no problem but they also said that to treat ich all I needed was a cleaner shrimp. I have looked and gotten mixed reactions any thoughts?????:confused:

Currently I have a regular 4 bulb fluorescent light and 4 bulb blacklight with 4 moon light led. Will I need that? Im still new so im not sure what it is im getting into.

Lighting is important, the blue tang won't be happy in a 55.
What type of nem are you looking to get?

So far the most popular anemone I've seen would be the BTA, but as the others have said you would need better lighting for any kind.

Slightly OT, does anyone know if the fake anemones like the one AMD linked to actually work? I mean, is it painfully obvious that they are fake and do your fish like them?

Lighting is important, the blue tang won't be happy in a 55.
What type of nem are you looking to get?

I know it wont be happy but it came with the tank so im not sure what to do with it.

Not sure I was just worried about how it would affect the other fish and which one would be the better choice for what I have. I have done little to no research because almost everyone is telling me something different. As far as lighting goes does it just need extreme light or is it a heat issue. i know it will not receive a lot of heat from it but my tank is close to a window and could receive extra light that way. Sorry to sound stupid I just have no idea because the tank was given to me and I have had almost no time to prepare myself for it.

Sounds like you're on the right track... and that's research, research, research! I would put off the anemone for 6-12 months until you get the hang of what to do with a saltwater tank. No need to rush one into a tank until you know how to care for it, and how to keep the water parameters stable in the tank.

Regarding lighting... lighting from a window is not even close to being enough to keep any type of coral, let alone an anemone. Unfortunately, having the tank next to a window is only good for growing algae - which is not a good thing. You may want to consider relocating it if possible. If not, then maybe just some blinds or something so it doesn't get direct sunlight.

Regarding what lighting you have... what is the wattage of those bulbs? And what size are they?

@atte: any of the fake corals are painfully obvious that they're fake after about the first week when they get a good coating of algae/debris/coralline on them. Living corals have slime coats that they use to keep themselves clean and will never look "dirty" like the fake stuff will. Also, clownfish don't "need" anemones to thrive in a tank. Often times, they won't even pay any attention to them if you add them!

I do have blinds and a curtain and they stayed closed.

48 inch 4x65 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture.

Attachments

• CU01024_99.jpg
    CU01024_99.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom