Angel help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an air stone for a 10 gal tank in there and a 10 gal filter with no media to help with water movement. I will check in the morning to see if he's still kicking.

I have an air stone for a 10 gal tank in there and a 10 gal filter with no media to help with water movement. I will check in the morning to see if he's still kicking.

Wait, if you didn't quarantine him initially before putting him in your main tank then you can't rule out parasites and to my knowledge what you are using won't help with those. Before you give up, do you have anything for parasites you can use?

I could be wrong, but this sounds alot like Marine Velvet. If in fact it is MV the only treatment I am aware of is copper.

Bagged and tagged angel this morning, he wasn't moving or breathing anymore. If it were MV wouldn't my other fish be showing signs? Or if I got angel out fast enough would they be okay? Currently they are looking healthy and eating fine.

Bagged and tagged angel this morning, he wasn't moving or breathing anymore. If it were MV wouldn't my other fish be showing signs? Or if I got angel out fast enough would they be okay? Currently they are looking healthy and eating fine.

I would wait and see how the fish look for a while before adding anything else.

I lost two fish to MV, but my two Chromis look fine. I'm going to QT and treat just to be sure. While doing that, I'm gonna just break my DT down and start over. Gives me an excuse to change some things in my DT. :). I'm afraid that without treating the Chromis, it might still be lurking and I'd rather not lose more fish.

Sorry to hear it did not make it. Regals are difficult fish to keep, expensive and need fairly large tanks with lots of hiding places. If I had a 180g, I would love to have one, but too expensive for a high risk fish IMO.

That's the plan. I'm not going to add anything else for a while and in the mean time I'm going to set up a 10 gal tank for new arrivals. Would using the water from a water change in my DT be the best way to set up my new arrivals tank? And I have a hob marine land filter I was going to use for it. If I put clean media and the bio wheel in my DT sump would that be enough bacteria? Or would I need to move a piece of LR as well?

I could be wrong, but this sounds alot like Marine Velvet. If in fact it is MV the only treatment I am aware of is copper.

The parasites (oodinium) which are referred to as Marine Velvet would attack the fins and body and would have caused the fish to twitch and jerk about prior to doing any serious damage. Yes the eye may have become damaged by the fish scratching to get a parasite off of it but the stage of injury shown in the picture was not a" velvet" attack. If you noticed, the fins in the picture looked clear whereas in an attack of oodinium, the fins would have been cloudy. If this was a velvet attack, most if not all the fish would be effected as oodinium is a quickly reproducing organism and the likelyhood of it effecting only 1 fish are rare (to my knowledge.)

To the OP, if you notice the other fish in the tank starting to twitch or scratch themselves repeatedly, the first course of action is a FW bath then quarentine followed by a copper treatment of the tank.

Hope this helps (y)

MV would not do the "pop eye" thing, would it?

No, to my knowledge it would not. I must have missed the post that mentioned it, I see there is a link to a photo but I am unable to view the photo. I was going by when the OP said the fish was laying on the bottom breathing heavily.

No, to my knowledge it would not. I must have missed the post that mentioned it, I see there is a link to a photo but I am unable to view the photo. I was going by when the OP said the fish was laying on the bottom breathing heavily.

To continue on, If you notice on the pic of the sick fish, his pelvic fins also appear to be wounded with raw areas hence my diagnosis of a bacterial infection. My thoughts were that possibly this fish had an internal bacterial infection that worked it's way out or an external infection that probably attacked the brain via the eye. This is why hospital tanks are always a good thing to have available so that at the first sign of trouble, the fish can be medicated then quarantined for a better recovery. In the last import station I worked at, we had almost 1,000 gallons of tankspace dedicated solely to medicating new arrivals because so many fish came in with all sorts of issues that are just natural to wild fish. Medication and QT is mandatory for a healthy main display tank (IMO).

Either way, it's always sad to see a fish of this caliber not survive. :(

I hope this helped (y)

Back
Top Bottom