Annularis, Emperor, or Queen ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinxBolling

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello - could you share your experiences with these angels? I have a new 220 and I'm considering one of these large angels but I can't quite decide on which one. ' any thoughts/info on which one you have, your set-up, tank-mates, observations etc would be helpful. Thanks in advance

image-1863323516.jpg

Tank looks great!..Love the stand/canopy

Personally i love the annularis,i also really like the asfur and blue lines ...Emps and queens are just seen too much..Thats the popular choices,,definitely beautiful just a lot of em I think..
The queens can be nasty ,,but all large angels tend to be ..

you could always just get a Conspicuous:wink:

I currently have a french,also popular but i need my Steeler fish:lol: and before that had a koran(lost in a power outage:sad:)..

EDIT: Also assuming this will be a fish only system ?? Large angels and reefs don't mix at all..
I have tried numerous things and can only keep shrooms and rics..But i'm just fine with that:)
Tankmates should be able to hold their own,,tangs,triggers,puffers,wrasses,hawks all obvious not invert safe but angel safe ;)
I like getting juvis to watch the color morphs ,,its awesome and kinda like having 2 fish for the price of one:D

For me it would either be between the Annularis or the Queen. They are both very nice!

I have tried numerous things and can only keep shrooms and rics.."

So - the French DOES leave these alone?
Thanks

Yep,,he doesn't even give them a test picking..
My koran did try a pick here and there but never went into a full munching on them,,duncans,leathers,hammers,frogspawn,xenia,trumpets,zoas,and colt coral is another story,,He destroyed all of them..

DD has a beautiful annularis right now,scoop it up .I always check DD ,,i got a lot of fish off there,just got another angler from there(y)

FTMMWS said:
Yep,,he doesn't even give them a test picking..
My koran did try a pick here and there but never went into a full munching on them,,duncans,leathers,hammers,frogspawn,xenia,trumpets,zoas,and colt coral is another story,,He destroyed all of them..

DD has a beautiful annularis right now,scoop it up .I always check DD ,,i got a lot of fish off there,just got another angler from there(y)

I saw that one on DD as well; it seems like a really good deal
Sorry to keep asking you questions but do you have hermits/snails? Im curious if the big angels pick on them
Thanks again

I saw that one on DD as well; it seems like a really good deal
Sorry to keep asking you questions but do you have hermits/snails? Im curious if the big angels pick on them
Thanks again
NO problem,,,TBH i never had inverts in with my angels because i always kept triggers with them...I honestly don't think they would bother any inverts ..They are not considered reef safe because of coral nipping/eating and triggers are not reef safe because of invert eating ..I think you'll be fine to keep any inverts you want..

Only reason i would pass on the DD deal is because its an adult..but thats just my personal preference..

' kinda funny - I just visited a LFS and they had all 3! An adult Emperor, 2 Queens and a very large adult Annularis! If my tank was a little more established; Id have gotten one - but I still need to wait a bit I think

Man,it must be nice to have a good LFS that gets in awesome fish..I miss mine(family place ,closed after 30+:sad:),,all i have now is a mall pet store and pet-co...Thats why i order online now..Good idea to wait though,they do need great water quality and established systems ...

A thought hit me: has anyone out there kept both a Queen and Emperor together??
Ahh,yes ,the million dollar question..Can i keep two large angels together..
Well,,easy answer is Yes...,but the range of difficulty differs between famlies..In your case they are different families ,but the queen can be a mean SOB..Add both as juvis and the chances are a lot better than doing it at different times...
I personally would try it ..Your tank is large,not huge ,,some say don't attempt it in anything under 300 8 footers ,but no risk no reward ..Worst case,, you have to yank one out and get store credit..

I have both the emporer and a queen in a FOWLR. Both are awesome fish. Love the tank!

Last edited:
jsl118 said:
I have both the emporer and a queen in a FOWLR. Both are awesome fish. Love the tank!

Thanks for the info - may I ask: what size is the tank? How large are the 2 angels and how long have you had them? What order did you add them in? Thanks again

Adding Angles

I only have a 90g. I know, small for the angels. My tank has been up and running for about 6 months now. I have great bio filtration a good skimmer and excellent water quality. I understand that both angles are prone to fungal infections. But all fish have been healthy. I have a 40g quarantine tank that I use to aclimate all fish I add to the tank.

These angles were one of the last fish I added.

I hop this helps.

jsl118 said:
I only have a 90g. I know, small for the angels. My tank has been up and running for about 6 months now. I have great bio filtration a good skimmer and excellent water quality. I understand that both angles are prone to fungal infections. But all fish have been healthy. I have a 40g quarantine tank that I use to aclimate all fish I add to the tank.

I hop this helps.

Sorry to be a pest but are they mature or juveniles? Thanks again

I hop this helps.
I have to jump in here and say this is a recipe for disaster ..If the juvi queen in your avatar is yours its just a baby and will get 3x that size(along with the emp) ..This is only going to cause some crazy aggression issues ..6 months is not long at all,,i hate coming off as a jerk,but this is not a good situation for 2 large(or dwarfs) angels to be in ..Just want to help you avoid disaster in a year

Back
Top Bottom