Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Another chromis probelem

My 75 gallon just recently cycled so I bought a green chromis. I have had in the tank for about 3-4 days now and it is still hiding in the rocks. I have seen it come out and swim a couple times a day. At one point it was out for about 30 minutes. How long does it take to become comfortable in a tank? None of my other fish in other tanks have been like this.

95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, Don't quote me, but I believe the chromis are schooling fish and most people have 3 of them in the tank together. Most schooling fish do not do well by themselves. (at least that's what I've been told)

lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

True, they are a schooling fish and a group of 3 would be best if that is the fish you really want in your tank.
Any new fish introduced into a display tank will take some time to settle in. In some cases that's a few hours, in some cases it's a week (or more).

Here's some good reading material for you for the future!

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 3 chromis about 2 weeks ago and lastnight was the first time I they came to the surface went I am feeding. Normally when I approach the tank they would hide behind the rocks. They are shy fish in my opinion.
rncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would consider my chromis experience extensive lol. I had five a while back and they were cool for about 2 months. They then started picking each other off 1 by 1. When there was only one left he lived about a week. This time I tried just one for obvious reasons. He was looking good just really shy and hiding. Today when I got home from the LFS after a perfect water test he was dead. Anyway this was within 7 days so I got a credit for him. I decided to put my clown in the tank and he is doing as good as ever so far. I thought the chromis was a hardy fish but I have heard of many stories like mine. I really want to have at least one so I guess I'll give the clown a while in there and try it again.
95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
i loved my chromis fish they were the best color out of the other damsels i had. i had 2 gold damsels, 2 four stripes, 2 yellow tail and 2 green chromis. the chromis i had were friends for ever they never fought each other and would help one another when the more dominate gold damsels would pick on them. the only problem i had was that the chromis liked to hover above my goby which pissed him off bad lol. as for feeding they were up there front and center a few days after id suggest getting another one so they are a pair

Tryin2layadime is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com