Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also your hydrometer might not be calibrated correctly. My hydrometer is off. I now use a refractometer and its a 6 point difference. Just something to think about.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix View Post
This is the salt mix I used and I followed the directions on bag mixing it in a five gal bucket.The local retailer said it had ingredients that would kill chlorine...I had no reason not to believe him.I am also getting Aqua Safe Water conditioner from Amazon...not that it will do me any good in the immediate future though
No it doesn't...so chlorine and my impatience may have killed another fish...but I will not give up.You learn by trial and error.This last fish lived for 4 days the last one was 3.
I was looking on Amazon at Refractometers and product description says to calibrate with ro/di water...What do you recommend?Can you calibrate with something else?
I also looked at ro/di aquarium filters...they are expensive.What brands are good,easy to use and don't take up a lot space?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The way I found out was to take a water sample to my fls and they tested salinity. My hydrometer was reading 1.023 and their refractometer was reading 1.017. So now I know that the hydrometer is .006 off. I would not buy a refractometer, just get your water tested and go from there.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix
No it doesn't...so chlorine and my impatience may have killed another fish...but I will not give up.You learn by trial and error.This last fish lived for 4 days the last one was 3.
I was looking on Amazon at Refractometers and product description says to calibrate with ro/di water...What do you recommend?Can you calibrate with something else?
I also looked at ro/di aquarium filters...they are expensive.What brands are good,easy to use and don't take up a lot space?
Brs has good units for a good price especially during group buys which happen about every month on these forums. The refractometer is actually best to calibrate with actuall calibration fluid and not to 0. Sorry to hear about the fish but I blame the store owner for giving you misleading information... If you don't want the hassle of your own unit or even making saltwater most large petstore will carry premixed saltwater and Ro/Di but the Ro/Di water is usually cheaper at a grocery store most of the time.between 25-39 cents a gallon.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post
The way I found out was to take a water sample to my fls and they tested salinity. My hydrometer was reading 1.023 and their refractometer was reading 1.017. So now I know that the hydrometer is .006 off. I would not buy a refractometer, just get your water tested and go from there.
The problem with that is I live 45 minutes away from nearest fls. That is why I am considering a refractometer. I really want to do this!I want to do it right and I want the fish to live to be enjoyed.Is that to much to ask?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is not too much to ask. . It's good that you are not giving up.

I would suggest having your LFS test your water, even if it is a drive. They typically dont charge for that type of thing. Salinity could be the problem, but it would have to be way off.

I do not think that chlorine stays in there for long , so if it has been a few days, that problem has probably taken care of itself (someone correct me if I am wrong here).
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix
The problem with that is I live 45 minutes away from nearest fls. That is why I am considering a refractometer. I really want to do this!I want to do it right and I want the fish to live to be enjoyed.Is that to much to ask?
Then I might suggest to you to purchase some purified water. I use Nestlé Pure Life water, and mix my salt with that.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB
I would not buy a refractometer, just get your water tested and go from there.
Why would you ever suggest NOT buying a refrac?? To the OP, its a $25-30 invest that is worth every penny. Check ebay and youll find them. Not to mention that if you ever decide to move into a bigger tank, youll already have it
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh and chlorine will dissipate after 24 hours of sutting
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
Oh and chlorine will dissipate after 24 hours of sutting
I would be concerned with the chloramine that may be in the water, that does not just "evaporate" and it WILL KILL your fish, just as easily as chlorine.

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com