Another damsel casualty...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the fish died not from chlorine, but because the tank is still cycling. Don't buy any more fish yet, add an ammonia source- either a raw shrimp or use actual drops of ammonia and let the tank cycle for a few weeks. As soon as your test kits arrive, check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day. When ammonia and nitrite spike and go back to zero, then you are cycled. At that point, do a water change to get nitrates below 40 and then add a fish.

Thank you everyone for your input...I tested the water and it looks like the cycling was to blame because the Nitrite was in the toxic zone and the nitrate was in the stress zone.The only thing that was in the ideal zone was the Ph level.I have decided to just wait for the bigger tank.I looked at ri/do system and found that they were all big and we need something small.I also looked at under the sink filters and they all seems to claim that they reduce the taste of chlorine but does not remove
As for the refractometer, there are a lot to choose from with variable pricing and mixed reviews.Does anyone know about the refractometer by Sybon?I have seen one review and of course it is 5 stars...but it looked nice and the product description said it was easy to use.
What do you use?

Attachments

• water filter.jpg
    water filter.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 192
  • refractometer.jpg
    refractometer.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom