Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another damsel casualty...

Woke up to look at my pretty fish and found it dead on the bottom of the tank...It didn't float. Don't they float when they die?Neither one floated and both died in less than a week.
What happened?I tested the salinity every day,I turned up the temp(80 degrees) and I didn't over feed.Its true I didn't test the water for ammonia,Nitrite or Nitrate.I ordered them(before I bought fish) and figured a couple days wouldn't hurt.Its also true I would not be sure what to do if they were to high.What do you do if they get high?
I was feeding 3 frozen Brine fish a day.Was it how I was thawing it?I used the microwave for 10 secs.I refuse to give up but I know I am not going to try again until I get a proper filter and tank.I know that the under gravel filter had to contribute to the failure but my question is was that all?I know other fish keepers have failures but its still hard loosing yet another fish!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you cycle the tank first? If you just set it up and added the fish then they were probably poisoned by ammo or nitrIte which you must do large water changes to bring that down during a fish in cycle. As for thawing you should place it in a cup of tank water or Ro/Di then drain it through a net and rinse to rid it of all the juices. It also sounds like you are over feeding which will add to you ammo and trites. Most saltwater tanks are fed every other day and each fish doesn't really need all that much.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I kept the tank going after my first fish died.I never tested anything but the salinity though like I said testing supplies were on there way.I guess the positive note is it lasted one more day than the last one.Still doesn't explain why it didn't float...I blame it on poor filtration and possible a bad salinity tester...don't know that I trust things made from plastic.
A question about the food...doesn't thawing in water and then draining it loose necessary nutrients?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya it definitely sounds like you dealing with a cycling tank and need to bring the levels down but from my experience most fish don't float. Also the rinsing will only do you good. It will remove the "juices" which is useless to your tank since nothing is eating it. You just need to keep in mind that this is an enclosed ecosystem so anything you put in it stays there until you remove it one way or another (water changes, nutrient sponges, or though macro algae)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criptix
I kept the tank going after my first fish died.I never tested anything but the salinity though like I said testing supplies were on there way.I guess the positive note is it lasted one more day than the last one.Still doesn't explain why it didn't float...I blame it on poor filtration and possible a bad salinity tester...don't know that I trust things made from plastic.
A question about the food...doesn't thawing in water and then draining it loose necessary nutrients?
I've had my 55 gallon for two years and during a fish death I have never seen it float.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess there is another misconception corrected...fish don't necessarily float.I can see why there aren't many 10 gal tanks.My question is was there anything that might have prevented this latest casualty besides not buying another fish?Would a skimmer have helped or was it that I still didn't have the right equip? I was told Damels are hardy fish and are used often to cycle tanks but are these tanks 10 gal tanks?
My equipment:
1 10 gal tank
crushed coral substrate
50 watt heater
thermometer
under gravel filtration
Top Fin power head(crap I know)
lr and plastic deco
salt mix that kills chlorine
hydrometer
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Ya it definitely sounds like you dealing with a cycling tank and need to bring the levels down but from my experience most fish don't float. Also the rinsing will only do you good. It will remove the "juices" which is useless to your tank since nothing is eating it. You just need to keep in mind that this is an enclosed ecosystem so anything you put in it stays there until you remove it one way or another (water changes, nutrient sponges, or though macro algae)
Can you rinse in purified water...RO, DI water may not be an option. for all your help.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Distilled is ok.. my concern is when you say a salt mix that kills chlorine... How do you make your saltwater? And I would also highly reccomend getting a refractometer because hydrometers can be very inaccurate which in a small tank like a 10 gallon that's amplified even more.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Distilled is ok.. my concern is when you say a salt mix that kills chlorine... How do you make your saltwater? And I would also highly reccomend getting a refractometer because hydrometers can be very inaccurate which in a small tank like a 10 gallon that's amplified even more.
This is the salt mix I used and I followed the directions on bag mixing it in a five gal bucket.The local retailer said it had ingredients that would kill chlorine...I had no reason not to believe him.I am also getting Aqua Safe Water conditioner from Amazon...not that it will do me any good in the immediate future though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yhst-129513149620439_2206_7552034.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	125042  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I could be wrong, I don't know this brand, but I've never heard of a salt mix that dechlorinates water. Most SW tanks use purified Ro/Di water mixed with their salt because it contains absolutely nothing when filters are working properly. You may be killing your fish with chlorine, does the bag say dechlorinator on it anywhere?

Tags
damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com