Another damsel casualty...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Woke up to look at my pretty fish and found it dead on the bottom of the tank...It didn't float. Don't they float when they die?Neither one floated and both died in less than a week.
What happened?I tested the salinity every day,I turned up the temp(80 degrees) and I didn't over feed.Its true I didn't test the water for ammonia,Nitrite or Nitrate.I ordered them(before I bought fish) and figured a couple days wouldn't hurt.Its also true I would not be sure what to do if they were to high.What do you do if they get high?
I was feeding 3 frozen Brine fish a day.Was it how I was thawing it?I used the microwave for 10 secs.I refuse to give up but I know I am not going to try again until I get a proper filter and tank.I know that the under gravel filter had to contribute to the failure but my question is was that all?I know other fish keepers have failures but its still hard loosing yet another fish! :(

Did you cycle the tank first? If you just set it up and added the fish then they were probably poisoned by ammo or nitrIte which you must do large water changes to bring that down during a fish in cycle. As for thawing you should place it in a cup of tank water or Ro/Di then drain it through a net and rinse to rid it of all the juices. It also sounds like you are over feeding which will add to you ammo and trites. Most saltwater tanks are fed every other day and each fish doesn't really need all that much.

I kept the tank going after my first fish died.I never tested anything but the salinity though like I said testing supplies were on there way.I guess the positive note is it lasted one more day than the last one.Still doesn't explain why it didn't float...I blame it on poor filtration and possible a bad salinity tester...don't know that I trust things made from plastic.
A question about the food...doesn't thawing in water and then draining it loose necessary nutrients?

Ya it definitely sounds like you dealing with a cycling tank and need to bring the levels down but from my experience most fish don't float. Also the rinsing will only do you good. It will remove the "juices" which is useless to your tank since nothing is eating it. You just need to keep in mind that this is an enclosed ecosystem so anything you put in it stays there until you remove it one way or another (water changes, nutrient sponges, or though macro algae)

Criptix said:
I kept the tank going after my first fish died.I never tested anything but the salinity though like I said testing supplies were on there way.I guess the positive note is it lasted one more day than the last one.Still doesn't explain why it didn't float...I blame it on poor filtration and possible a bad salinity tester...don't know that I trust things made from plastic.
A question about the food...doesn't thawing in water and then draining it loose necessary nutrients?

I've had my 55 gallon for two years and during a fish death I have never seen it float.

I guess there is another misconception corrected...fish don't necessarily float.I can see why there aren't many 10 gal tanks.My question is was there anything that might have prevented this latest casualty besides not buying another fish?Would a skimmer have helped or was it that I still didn't have the right equip? I was told Damels are hardy fish and are used often to cycle tanks but are these tanks 10 gal tanks?
My equipment:
1 10 gal tank
crushed coral substrate
50 watt heater
thermometer
under gravel filtration
Top Fin power head(crap I know)
lr and plastic deco
salt mix that kills chlorine
hydrometer

Ya it definitely sounds like you dealing with a cycling tank and need to bring the levels down but from my experience most fish don't float. Also the rinsing will only do you good. It will remove the "juices" which is useless to your tank since nothing is eating it. You just need to keep in mind that this is an enclosed ecosystem so anything you put in it stays there until you remove it one way or another (water changes, nutrient sponges, or though macro algae)
Can you rinse in purified water...RO, DI water may not be an option.:thanks: for all your help.

Distilled is ok.. my concern is when you say a salt mix that kills chlorine... How do you make your saltwater? And I would also highly reccomend getting a refractometer because hydrometers can be very inaccurate which in a small tank like a 10 gallon that's amplified even more.

Distilled is ok.. my concern is when you say a salt mix that kills chlorine... How do you make your saltwater? And I would also highly reccomend getting a refractometer because hydrometers can be very inaccurate which in a small tank like a 10 gallon that's amplified even more.
This is the salt mix I used and I followed the directions on bag mixing it in a five gal bucket.The local retailer said it had ingredients that would kill chlorine...I had no reason not to believe him.I am also getting Aqua Safe Water conditioner from Amazon...not that it will do me any good in the immediate future though:(

Attachments

• yhst-129513149620439_2206_7552034.jpg
    yhst-129513149620439_2206_7552034.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 67
I could be wrong, I don't know this brand, but I've never heard of a salt mix that dechlorinates water. Most SW tanks use purified Ro/Di water mixed with their salt because it contains absolutely nothing when filters are working properly. You may be killing your fish with chlorine, does the bag say dechlorinator on it anywhere?

Also your hydrometer might not be calibrated correctly. My hydrometer is off. I now use a refractometer and its a 6 point difference. Just something to think about.

This is the salt mix I used and I followed the directions on bag mixing it in a five gal bucket.The local retailer said it had ingredients that would kill chlorine...I had no reason not to believe him.I am also getting Aqua Safe Water conditioner from Amazon...not that it will do me any good in the immediate future though:(
No it doesn't...so chlorine and my impatience may have killed another fish...but I will not give up.You learn by trial and error.This last fish lived for 4 days the last one was 3.
I was looking on Amazon at Refractometers and product description says to calibrate with ro/di water...What do you recommend?Can you calibrate with something else?
I also looked at ro/di aquarium filters...they are expensive.What brands are good,easy to use and don't take up a lot space?

The way I found out was to take a water sample to my fls and they tested salinity. My hydrometer was reading 1.023 and their refractometer was reading 1.017. So now I know that the hydrometer is .006 off. I would not buy a refractometer, just get your water tested and go from there.

Criptix said:
No it doesn't...so chlorine and my impatience may have killed another fish...but I will not give up.You learn by trial and error.This last fish lived for 4 days the last one was 3.
I was looking on Amazon at Refractometers and product description says to calibrate with ro/di water...What do you recommend?Can you calibrate with something else?
I also looked at ro/di aquarium filters...they are expensive.What brands are good,easy to use and don't take up a lot space?

Brs has good units for a good price especially during group buys which happen about every month on these forums. The refractometer is actually best to calibrate with actuall calibration fluid and not to 0. Sorry to hear about the fish but I blame the store owner for giving you misleading information... If you don't want the hassle of your own unit or even making saltwater most large petstore will carry premixed saltwater and Ro/Di but the Ro/Di water is usually cheaper at a grocery store most of the time.between 25-39 cents a gallon.

The way I found out was to take a water sample to my fls and they tested salinity. My hydrometer was reading 1.023 and their refractometer was reading 1.017. So now I know that the hydrometer is .006 off. I would not buy a refractometer, just get your water tested and go from there.
The problem with that is I live 45 minutes away from nearest fls. That is why I am considering a refractometer. I really want to do this!I want to do it right and I want the fish to live to be enjoyed.Is that to much to ask?

It is not too much to ask. :). It's good that you are not giving up.

I would suggest having your LFS test your water, even if it is a drive. They typically dont charge for that type of thing. Salinity could be the problem, but it would have to be way off.

I do not think that chlorine stays in there for long , so if it has been a few days, that problem has probably taken care of itself (someone correct me if I am wrong here).

Criptix said:
The problem with that is I live 45 minutes away from nearest fls. That is why I am considering a refractometer. I really want to do this!I want to do it right and I want the fish to live to be enjoyed.Is that to much to ask?

Then I might suggest to you to purchase some purified water. I use Nestlé Pure Life water, and mix my salt with that.

SaltwaterNuB said:
I would not buy a refractometer, just get your water tested and go from there.

Why would you ever suggest NOT buying a refrac?? To the OP, its a $25-30 invest that is worth every penny. Check ebay and youll find them. Not to mention that if you ever decide to move into a bigger tank, youll already have it:)

huma-huma said:
Oh and chlorine will dissipate after 24 hours of sutting

I would be concerned with the chloramine that may be in the water, that does not just "evaporate" and it WILL KILL your fish, just as easily as chlorine.

Back
Top Bottom