Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
FYI you can calibrate your pH reader with some RO water

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use crushed coral to buffer your pH.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A gradual swing in pH will not kill a fish. There have been studies where fish are exposed, long term, to low pH (7.5 or lower) and it has been found it affects the blood proteins where it takes more energy for the fish to maintain proper blood chemistry. It doesn't kill them.
Quote:
You can use crushed coral to buffer your pH.
Simply put, that's not true in a typical saltwater tank.

I think I advised you on this before, but once you start dumping in buffers with borate (boron), which is what any buffer has that says it keeps your pH at a certain level, your alkalinity test kit won't work properly (plus your pH will not stay at that level for long anyway). The boron will interfere with the test kit readings.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, ccCapt, you advised me on this before and I highly appreciate it. I hadn't used the buffer since then until yesterday. I can't think of why my fish keep dying. All of my parameters are always in check except for the pH which I can't seem to get an understanding of. Going to pick up my digital pH meter here in a couple hours so I can study what my pH is doing. Gotta know what it's doing before doing anything to fix it.

Please don't mistake my naivety for stupidity I, like most uninformed people, panic. I highly regard your input as you seem like you know what you're talking about more than most.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Also, one of three chromis dying is not uncommon. Could have been your luck that a dominant female did the other one in. I've OFTEN heard of folks wanting schooling fish to have chromis, and them dying off one by one. Have no idea how it happens, but I agree that it wasn't a Ph issue.

Try cardinals or scissor tail gobies for schoolers. They worked well for me when my chromis eventually died off.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I agree with you there.

However this isn't the first time fish have mysteriously died on me. I've had 4 clowns, 2 royal grammas, and 2 other green chromis "mysteriously" die on me before.

While maybe not a pH issue, there's some issue. I may have really bad pH fluctuations or something. Though it's been probably 3 months since my last mysterious death.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, no pH meter today. He couldn't find his. Took a 40 minute drive out there and 40 minutes back. Sucks, but I'll always have ebay
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck scott, I've been following your issues. As stated though, maybe this was just a chromi fluke? You know you had issues the last time around but you seem to have gotten them under control this time around. I've heard the same thing about chromis, that you should start off with alot since they will pcik each other off sometimes and some just die.

Just what I've heard.

Good luck! Hope you resolve this issue too.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Carey.

Yeah I would like to attribute it to that too. But I'd be dumb not to try to see if something else is wrong. It seems like I'm having more failures than enjoying this hobby.

Perhaps the new koralias i put in there stressed him out or maybe it blew some nasty gunk off the back of the rocks. amm and trites were 0 though.

I will probably never know. I want to know my ph fluctuations though just to rule it out, if anything.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Hanna Instruments Waterproof pH Tester with Replaceable Electrode

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com