Another one of those stocking threads (125g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, been posting recently about an upgrade. Starting from scratch with a 125g 6foot tank. I have about 225lbs of live rock, undecided about a deep sand bed but probably 3-4", ASM G3 Skimmer, a 50g sump/fuge (probably holds about 35-40 gallons of water).

I've got a dream list but I'm assuming I'll be way overstocked as these fish grow. Let me point out that the reason for the upgrade is for the porcupine puffer. No room for a 180g, so I'm limited to the 125. The wife and I put together a dream stock of about 5-6 fish, trying to keep it relatively reasonable - but a couple are very messy eaters so I think this might be too much. Any feedback including "your crazy" is acceptable...

1. Picasso Trigger
2. Porc Puffer
3. Blue Face Angel
4. Sailfin Tang
5. Wrasse of some sort or another less aggressive Angel
*6. and MAYBE a Snowflake Eel if bio-load will have it

Too much? Way too much?

Oh, and is a dwarf lion out of the question to replace one of my above selections? Thought I read porcs like to nip at their trailing fins.

You certainly have a good amount of biological filtration so that is a good thing. I think your list is pretty good in terms of both bioload and compatibility. The next question that needs to be addressed is stocking order. This is ussually tougher in an agressive because all of the fish are, well...agressive. I would think angel and wrasse first, followed by the eel. Puffer and tang next with the trigger being the last addition. I am not sure I would add the lion with the trigger.

Cant really offer any advice, since this is way out of my league, but it sure does sound like a dream tank!!!! Good luck!!!!

Lando, thanks as usual.

So, no lion with the trigger? Is the trigger the only issue with the lion? In other words, could I replace the trigger with a lion? Not really sure if I'd want to. I've owned lions before and I'm not a huge fan but my wife really digs them. Just trying to weigh my options.

Addition order was going to be my next question actually so you saved me another thread. Thanks.

The trigger would likely be the aggressor, nipping at the lion. I do not have any experience with puffers so I am not sure how they will get along with a lion.

Okay, last question about stocking as I think I'm pretty set on the list above. I think it's a nice mix and they should all do okay with each other.

So - as far as the trigger goes. Would there be anyway of going with a Clown Trigger rather than a picasso? Bioload wise, I could give up the eel because I think they get pretty big. Just not sure if it would work aggression-wise. If he's the last fish to be added, I guess I'll have time to consider it. I've never owned a clown, so I don't know how true to their reputation they are.

Thanks again.

I've been reading a lot on triggers because i'm about to start a tank for a Picasso trigger... from what i have read, picasso triggers are the least aggressive species of triggers and they vary from individual to individual. You may have one that never pics on anyone, you may have one that pics on others from the start, or it may be nice until it gets older and then all the sudden gets mean. It all depends on space since they can be territorial. As for clown triggers, i have read they can be quite aggressive, but i don't know how aggressive they would be as juviniles, but in a 125 as an adult, i would assume they could get quite nasty.

Thanks Radioheadx14.

I'll stick with the picasso probably to play it safe. Will make sure to post pics as the tank progresses.

Oh, and thanks for getting me to listen to OK Computer again. Saw your screen name and realized that it's been far too long so I had to throw it on.

Of your stocking list, the following are usually not recommended with lionfish: Triggers, pufferfish, and angelfish. All of these tend to harass and nip the fins of lionfish. However, many seem to have luck with the following mild-tempered triggerfish and lionfish: Odonus niger, Rhinecanthus (aculeatus, assasi, and verrucosus), Xanthichthys (mento, auromarginatus, and ringens), and Sufflamen.

I am a fan of the clown trigger, but they do tend to be one of the most aggressive species. A small animal added last will be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom