Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden10 View Post
Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I use the Remora by AquaC (Welcome to AquaC, Inc.) and think it is the best hang on skimmer I have used. Very easy to set up, and works like a champ.
Ogden - in your experience is the Remora louder than other skimmers? I've read good things about this unit but the one common complaint seems to be that it is loud.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
When it was first setup I remember it being a little loud, but as the pump broke in, and a slime coat formed it got quieter for sure. Of course you can hear the water entering the tank, but I don't mind that. Also I have my tank in the family room where we don't sit often so not really an issue for me. For a while I actually had it attached to my sump in the stand which made it even quiter, but it did not seem to work as well.

Hope that helps

Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm running a Eheim 2080 canister filter and an Octopus BH-800s on my 120, they both work great. I'm running the Eheim biological only at the moment but have plenty of space for media. I definitely like the octopus, it's amazing how much stuff it extracts from the water, oh yeah the skimmate really does stink though.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well - after several days of researching protein skimmers I have concluded two things ...

• there doesn't seem to be a HOB protein skimmer on the market that is proportionally sized for smaller thanks (ie. 40-gallon or less). These things are big and I suppose that is for a reason.

• Overall visual aesthetics of how the skimmer will look as a component of the aquarium is not part of the equation when these companies design skimmers - with the exception of maybe the AquaC skimmers.

So right now I am leaning towards the AquaC Remora with MJ1200PH and the pre-skimmer box to conceal the powerhead. The box is huge at 8.5" x 7.25" but in review it sounds like the pre-skimmer cleans up the in-tank look.

Does anyone have an alternate suggestions for a skimmer that works well and is compact in size (sump is not really an option at this time)? My price range is $100 to $300.

Anyone have experience with these units that are called 'skilters' that attach like a traditional power filter but supposedly offer skimming capabilities - are these things just a gimmick?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Did you check the Bak-Pak? They make a smaller HOB version and are a good brand.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Did you check the Bak-Pak? They make a smaller HOB version and are a good brand.
Yea I've read alot about the CPR Bak-Pak ... sounds like it is a good skimmer but it also is fairly large. I think I would be happy with either the Remora, the Bak-Pak or the Octopus if they made a model that was for smaller size aquariums.

I guess what I am looking for is a nano sized skimmer that works well. Not sure a nano skimmer is even available in the marketplace though ...
Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Realistically, if you have a 30-40G tank, a skimmer is not really needed, just keep up with the PWCs, you could spend your money elsewhere....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I was going to say before Scott said it that folks with a 40 gallon or less usually dont run a skimmer. PWC`s will practically accomplish the same thing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Realistically, if you have a 30-40G tank, a skimmer is not really needed, just keep up with the PWCs, you could spend your money elsewhere....
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I was going to say before Scott said it that folks with a 40 gallon or less usually dont run a skimmer. PWC`s will practically accomplish the same thing.
So you guys are saying a protein skimmer is not really necessary on tanks less than 40-gallon ... that's interesting. Is anyone on this board running a system like mine - power filter without a skimmer? Roka64 - I know your similar with your canister filtration system without a skimmer.

Let me ask then, what makes it an essential piece of equipment on larger tanks since we all do PWC's regardless of the size of our tanks?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with everyone else, no protein skimmer I say. Before I bought the 100 gallon I had a 55 gallon FOWLR and ran the emporer 400 on there and I didn't have any nitrate problems or anything like that. My water was perfect.
I'd say the main reason bigger tanks need a skimmer is maybe due to when you have alot of fish with alot of waste happening?

Steve

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com