Another Protein Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been convinced that a protein skimmer is really an essential piece of equipment for a saltwater aquarium. Sure I could go without it and have a nice looking healthy aquarium as I'm currently set up, but to do it right I think I will replace my power-filter with a protein skimmer.

So I am looking for a HOB skimmer that will work well for a 37-gallon aquarium. Recommendations seem to be to go for the CPR Bak-Pak or the Reef Octopus skimmer for a tank my size.

My question is - I have read that there are skimmers on the market that have compartments for media such as carbon, etc. ... so do you all that use HOB skimmers pack media in them or if not in the skimmer and you use carbon where do you put it?

I definitely would go with the skimmer if it was me. I dont run any media in my skimmer.

Hmmm, I don't run a skimmer, but I don't know if I would put media in it. Of course, I have no experience with them so I might not even know what I'm talking about.
Now that I think about it, Austinsdad (Ray) has a skimmer that had carbon or charcoal, but that didn't have anything to do with the cleaning of the water, it helped to eliminate the skimmate (sp?) smell, if I remember correctly....

Fluvial filters. That is just my personal preference, I have nothing against skimmers, I just started with the filters and didn't really have a space for one on my 55. I do like them because I can run media in them like purigen, and carbon (although, I haven't run carbon in years) and add LR rubble.

My question is - I have read that there are skimmers on the market that have compartments for media such as carbon, etc. ... so do you all that use HOB skimmers pack media in them or if not in the skimmer and you use carbon where do you put it?

Reef Octopus makes a skimmer BH-300 with a compartment for mechanical and chemical filtration. make sure you keep everything clean. run carbon and phosphate remover in the compartment.

Reef Octopus makes a skimmer BH-300 with a compartment for mechanical and chemical filtration. make sure you keep everything clean. run carbon and phosphate remover in the compartment.

Yea - that's one of the skimmers I have heard about. I've always read good things about the Reef Octopus units as well.

I believe you are talking about the BH-300F model. The "F" model appear to have some limited filtration capabilities. Seems mostly worthless to me but that's just me :)

AquaC is another brand I hear plenty of good things about.

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I use the Remora by AquaC (Welcome to AquaC, Inc.) and think it is the best hang on skimmer I have used. Very easy to set up, and works like a champ.

Ogden - in your experience is the Remora louder than other skimmers? I've read good things about this unit but the one common complaint seems to be that it is loud.

When it was first setup I remember it being a little loud, but as the pump broke in, and a slime coat formed it got quieter for sure. Of course you can hear the water entering the tank, but I don't mind that. Also I have my tank in the family room where we don't sit often so not really an issue for me. For a while I actually had it attached to my sump in the stand which made it even quiter, but it did not seem to work as well.

Hope that helps

I'm running a Eheim 2080 canister filter and an Octopus BH-800s on my 120, they both work great. I'm running the Eheim biological only at the moment but have plenty of space for media. I definitely like the octopus, it's amazing how much stuff it extracts from the water, oh yeah the skimmate really does stink though.

Well - after several days of researching protein skimmers I have concluded two things ...

• there doesn't seem to be a HOB protein skimmer on the market that is proportionally sized for smaller thanks (ie. 40-gallon or less). These things are big and I suppose that is for a reason.

• Overall visual aesthetics of how the skimmer will look as a component of the aquarium is not part of the equation when these companies design skimmers - with the exception of maybe the AquaC skimmers.

So right now I am leaning towards the AquaC Remora with MJ1200PH and the pre-skimmer box to conceal the powerhead. The box is huge at 8.5" x 7.25" but in review it sounds like the pre-skimmer cleans up the in-tank look.

Does anyone have an alternate suggestions for a skimmer that works well and is compact in size (sump is not really an option at this time)? My price range is $100 to $300.

Anyone have experience with these units that are called 'skilters' that attach like a traditional power filter but supposedly offer skimming capabilities - are these things just a gimmick?

Did you check the Bak-Pak? They make a smaller HOB version and are a good brand.

Did you check the Bak-Pak? They make a smaller HOB version and are a good brand.

Yea I've read alot about the CPR Bak-Pak ... sounds like it is a good skimmer but it also is fairly large. I think I would be happy with either the Remora, the Bak-Pak or the Octopus if they made a model that was for smaller size aquariums.

I guess what I am looking for is a nano sized skimmer that works well. Not sure a nano skimmer is even available in the marketplace though ...

Realistically, if you have a 30-40G tank, a skimmer is not really needed, just keep up with the PWCs, you could spend your money elsewhere....

I was going to say before Scott said it that folks with a 40 gallon or less usually dont run a skimmer. PWC`s will practically accomplish the same thing.

Realistically, if you have a 30-40G tank, a skimmer is not really needed, just keep up with the PWCs, you could spend your money elsewhere....

I was going to say before Scott said it that folks with a 40 gallon or less usually dont run a skimmer. PWC`s will practically accomplish the same thing.

So you guys are saying a protein skimmer is not really necessary on tanks less than 40-gallon ... that's interesting. Is anyone on this board running a system like mine - power filter without a skimmer? Roka64 - I know your similar with your canister filtration system without a skimmer.

Let me ask then, what makes it an essential piece of equipment on larger tanks since we all do PWC's regardless of the size of our tanks?

I agree with everyone else, no protein skimmer I say. Before I bought the 100 gallon I had a 55 gallon FOWLR and ran the emporer 400 on there and I didn't have any nitrate problems or anything like that. My water was perfect.
I'd say the main reason bigger tanks need a skimmer is maybe due to when you have alot of fish with alot of waste happening?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom