Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

answer as many of these as you can, thanks!

-What is the best substrate to use? aragonite? cc? (pros/cons?)
-What is the best sand sifting goby for a 29gal fowlr? Will it jump out of my tank?
-What are the best plants to keep nitrates low, maintain a proper pH, and prevent algae growth by sucking the water clean of nutrients?
-Should I place plants directly in the tank, or would a hang-in refugium be preferable? Why?
-At what age/size is an ocellaris clownfish sexually mature?
-Are banggai cardinals best kept singly or in pairs?

Yes question rave lol.....thank you!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #2

The marine true plant is mangrove. You are probably thinking of macroalgae which is not a true plant (Caulerpa spp, Chaetomorpha, etc.). This is what people usually have in their refugium. Caulerpa is probably the safest since under certain conditions Caulerpa can reproduce sexually and poison the tank.

A sugar gain size sand is ideal. I prefer black so I use Estes' Ultra Reef, but if you want all white go with a calcium based sand.

Most gobies will prevent the sand from staying live in a 29. I wouldn't recommend one to keep the sand clean in that size tank, there are better methods.

Ideally the fuge is not in the tank. This takes up valuable display space. A HOB or better yet a sump is a much better option.

Banggais can be in groups. They will actually host in anemones just like clowns.

Ocellaris can mature very young. Naturally there are many in one anemone. The largest will be female, the second largest male, and the rest immature. When the male or female die the next one in line in size will mature to take over that position. There is not a minimum size for them to mature at, it simply takes times. It takes approximately one month for them to go from one stage to the next (immature to male, male to female). So one that has been alone for two months is female and one alone for one month will be a male. Ideally get two that were together and getting along at the shop and you should end up with a nice pair.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

Nice reply. Good read for me too. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Wow Fishguy very informative answer, thank you so much! Just a few more for you if you didn't mind hehe :$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
The marine true plant is mangrove.
ohhh ok and can this be planted directly in the dp or do I need a fuge?

Quote:
Caulerpa is probably the safest since under certain conditions Caulerpa can reproduce sexually and poison the tank.
caulerpa is the safest or ISN'T*

Quote:
Banggais can be in groups. They will actually host in anemones just like clowns.
wow! I did not know they host anemones that is so cool lol
Also does this mean they shouldn't be kept singly?

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

also for sand, why the finer the better?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

Sorry, I meant Cheatomorpha is usually considered the safest because Caulerpa can go sexual.

I wouldn't keep banggais alone, they get along well together.

Mangrove is usually not the best option for nutrient export since it grows slowly, gets large, and only the roots are submerged. Stick with chaeto in a fuge (either HOB or in a sump).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com