Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got one ignitus. They didn't order me three like I wanted. Resplendents and Randalls don't seem to be available anywhere. So I went to another store today and they happened to have a little barletts. I went ahead and got it because I think the ignitus was lonely. At the pet store he was out swimming but in my quarantine tank he was staying up in the corner. Now he's out swimming with the barletts. Problem is. Ignitus doesn't seem to be eating. He chases the food like he wants it then doesn't eat it. Think he ate two tiny pieces of Cyclops a few minutes ago. I put the leftovers in the fridge and I'll try again in a couple hours. Bartletts of course just as everyone says is eating like a pig. Hope the ignitus eats soon. The pet store is supposed to be ordering me two more of those. Live aquarias website lists ignitus care level as easy. I really hope he eats soon. I've had him since Saturday and I've only seem him eat a few specs of food in all.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I still haven't seen the ignitus eat much. I've tried frozen Cyclops, emerald entree and marine cuisine, omega one garlic flakes and ocean nutrition formula one flakes. She seems to eat just a few pieces here and there. Most of the time it seems like she spits it back out. Goes after the food like it's going to eat. Then doesn't. What else can I try?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Live brine at this point I'd say. Anthias can be tricky to get eating.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was reading their care level was easy. I wasn't expecting that. There's a store around here that sells little bottles of different kinds of pods would that work?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not too sure, my anthias didnt eat pods. The live brine can get a feeding response and then you can slip in some frozen brine and after a few days the anthias shouldnt know the difference.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well good news. I put a cube of Cyclops in tonight and I actually saw him eat a bunch! So maybe I'm getting somewhere. I got the pet store to order me two more because they were supposed to order me three in the first place and I was starting to have second thoughts about getting those. But now that he's eating I feel better. Guess he just needed more time to get comfortable. I kept trying different foods a few times a day. Of course now my quarantine tank is getting dirty. Definitely time for a water change tomorrow! But glad he ate a good amount finally!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good news, glad to hear it. Thats what you have to do with hard to feed fish, try everything under the sun and eventually you usually find something they will go after.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well he eats randomly. One day he will eat two pieces of food, another day he won't eat any and some days he will eat a bunch. And it does it to the same food. Like say I put flakes in then later I do frozen Cyclops then the next day I do pellets and frozen Cyclops. He will eat the Cyclops the first day then the next day he spits it all back out. I watch his every move while theres food in the tank so I know when he's eating or not eating. And sometimes he opens his mouth and looks like he's swallowing but I dont see anything go in his mouth. Is it tiny pieces I can't see? What should I do? Also I had gotten the store to order me two more of the ignitus anthias because they were supposed to get three in the first place but messed up. They should be at the store already for me to pick them up. I read they prefer to be in trios do you think when I get the other two in there he will be more comfortable and maybe eat better? Right now he's in quarantine with a lemon peel angel and barletts anthias. It's 37 gallon. They got along at first but now I see the barletts chase him every now and then. The angel doesn't mess with either of them. And I do keep up with water changes this is just a quarantine tank. After I get them eating and treat them they will be in a 150 gallon. I do have another 10 gallon set up so that if it's too many fish and the water quality gets bad I can move at least one fish to the 10 gallon temporarily.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry that was so long!

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I recommend using the additional 10 gal tank to keep stress levels down. An overcrowded QT is counterproductive IMO.

Tags
anthias, school, schools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com