Anthias schools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrasse326

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get a small school of anthias for my 120 gallon. I'm fixing to take my current fish out of quarantine and put them into my 120 and then I would like to get a few anthias. I have a scopas tang, sailfin tang, blue eye kole tang, and two occelaris clowns. How many anthias could I put in my tank? I was looking on live aquaria and it said in a 125 gallon you could have one male and up to 10 females. But I'm not sure if they mean those being the only fish. I've got a 37 gallon sump. I'm really interested in Randalls Anthias, Ignitus Anthias and ventralis anthias. Would different types of anthias school together? Should I get them all at the same time? I know whatever I get can only be one male. Besides the anthias and what I already have I'm only planning on putting maybe an angel and a wrasse in the tank later on. But the anthias are what I want the most. Thanks for any information

Hmm I would do 4 females and 1 male...lyretails are the easiest ones. I had some squarebacks back they were awful to get eating, but very cool. :)

I had an orange cheek or hutchii anthias a while back when I had a 75 gallon. She decided to jump out of the tank for some reason. I had her for 4 years and I switched to the 120 gallon and had everybody in there for a couple months and one day I couldn't find her. I destroyed my tank looking for her. I found her two weeks later under the stand dried up :( I was so sad. But ever since I lost her I've been wanting to do a school.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you think different kinds of anthias will school together though? The ventralis are so beautiful but they are expensive and I'm reading mixed things about whether they are hardy or not. So maybe I'll do a lyretail instead. I really like the ignitus too though. Actually if I could have one of each I probably would. Anthias are my favorite fish. Along with tangs

I put three female lyretails in my 125 and one has morphed into a male. They do fine in the tank.

Ok I am going to have a 150.. turns out my current tank is only 100 not 120 gallons like I've been thinking it was the last year I've had it.. but this weekend I'm going to get a 150 gallon oceanic and stand. Anyways the anthias I have picked are one male ignitus anthias, two female randalls, and two female resplendents. Does anybody have any information on any of these?

I have one male and two female dispar anthias, all eat every frozen food and also flakes and pellets. I have a 65 gallon tank, otherwise I'd have more. They're so beautiful.

Cool. I keep hearing mixed results searching for things online. Some people say dispars are hard to keep and resplendents are hard to keep. And then other people say they both do well. I guess I will just have to try and see which ones I have luck with myself

I got one ignitus. They didn't order me three like I wanted. Resplendents and Randalls don't seem to be available anywhere. So I went to another store today and they happened to have a little barletts. I went ahead and got it because I think the ignitus was lonely. At the pet store he was out swimming but in my quarantine tank he was staying up in the corner. Now he's out swimming with the barletts. Problem is. Ignitus doesn't seem to be eating. He chases the food like he wants it then doesn't eat it. Think he ate two tiny pieces of Cyclops a few minutes ago. I put the leftovers in the fridge and I'll try again in a couple hours. Bartletts of course just as everyone says is eating like a pig. Hope the ignitus eats soon. The pet store is supposed to be ordering me two more of those. Live aquarias website lists ignitus care level as easy. I really hope he eats soon. I've had him since Saturday and I've only seem him eat a few specs of food in all.

So I still haven't seen the ignitus eat much. I've tried frozen Cyclops, emerald entree and marine cuisine, omega one garlic flakes and ocean nutrition formula one flakes. She seems to eat just a few pieces here and there. Most of the time it seems like she spits it back out. Goes after the food like it's going to eat. Then doesn't. What else can I try?

I was reading their care level was easy. I wasn't expecting that. There's a store around here that sells little bottles of different kinds of pods would that work?

Not too sure, my anthias didnt eat pods. The live brine can get a feeding response and then you can slip in some frozen brine and after a few days the anthias shouldnt know the difference.

Well good news. I put a cube of Cyclops in tonight and I actually saw him eat a bunch! So maybe I'm getting somewhere. I got the pet store to order me two more because they were supposed to order me three in the first place and I was starting to have second thoughts about getting those. But now that he's eating I feel better. Guess he just needed more time to get comfortable. I kept trying different foods a few times a day. Of course now my quarantine tank is getting dirty. Definitely time for a water change tomorrow! But glad he ate a good amount finally!

Good news, glad to hear it. :) Thats what you have to do with hard to feed fish, try everything under the sun and eventually you usually find something they will go after.

Well he eats randomly. One day he will eat two pieces of food, another day he won't eat any and some days he will eat a bunch. And it does it to the same food. Like say I put flakes in then later I do frozen Cyclops then the next day I do pellets and frozen Cyclops. He will eat the Cyclops the first day then the next day he spits it all back out. I watch his every move while theres food in the tank so I know when he's eating or not eating. And sometimes he opens his mouth and looks like he's swallowing but I dont see anything go in his mouth. Is it tiny pieces I can't see? What should I do? Also I had gotten the store to order me two more of the ignitus anthias because they were supposed to get three in the first place but messed up. They should be at the store already for me to pick them up. I read they prefer to be in trios do you think when I get the other two in there he will be more comfortable and maybe eat better? Right now he's in quarantine with a lemon peel angel and barletts anthias. It's 37 gallon. They got along at first but now I see the barletts chase him every now and then. The angel doesn't mess with either of them. And I do keep up with water changes this is just a quarantine tank. After I get them eating and treat them they will be in a 150 gallon. I do have another 10 gallon set up so that if it's too many fish and the water quality gets bad I can move at least one fish to the 10 gallon temporarily.

I recommend using the additional 10 gal tank to keep stress levels down. An overcrowded QT is counterproductive IMO.

Back
Top Bottom