Any help getting rid of Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I recently killed two aptasia in my 20 gallon that is still cycling. One of them was rather large and now in its place...there seems to be a tiny one growing in its place. Could this be the same one regenerating? I killed them with an injection of vinegar and they vanished for a day or two. Please advise.

Since its a small one now, try your luck with a couple peppermint shrimp. They usually will take care of smaller aptasia and won't mess with bigger ones. Just know that all pepps. won't eat aptasia.

Check out a kalk mix, Joe's juice, aiptasia-x, etc.

Peppermints are hit and miss at best and nothing alive should be added to a cycling tank.

Thanks all of you. Do i have to inject them? They are kind of small and difficult to inject. Can i just crop dust them?

Sort of. Be careful to not use too much at once though. It can affect your pH. How I wish they could be crop dusted! lol

I saw someone else that couldn't get rid of this one aiptasia, so he just took the rock out and super glued over the hole. I thought it was hilarious, because we all get in personal battles with the blights and scourges of our tanks.
If that doesn't work, I have always had really good results with joe's juice.

Another question. This rock that it is on is very small and just used for introduction of beneficial bacteria. If removed and left out to dry will the aptasia die off? Is this a good idea?

if its just sitting on top of your pile of LR and its a small piece you won't miss, I don't see why not. Take it out and nuke it for 30 seconds (kidding) ....kinda. :p

Take it out, cover the aiptasia with kalk paste and place it in a bowl of tank water. You have a better change there anyway if it's a small rock.

Do you have Joe's Juice, or just the vinegar? Try some lemon juice if you have real lemon juice in the fridge.

Yeah I squeezed a lemon and injected them with lemon juice, not a lot however, too much will lower the pH. But, i just checked my tank and one of em came back. Time for another injection...

If I recall, if your tank is cycling your PH will swing wildly anyway so I wouldnt worry to much about it. You should check your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and not worry about much else untill the cycle is done. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks. This little guy keeps hiding and moving through different holes in the rock. I'll just worry about my cycling and i'll get him later. Thanks a lot everyone.

Back
Top Bottom