Anybody get Sea Cukes as hitch hikers on their liverock.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pecan2phat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Did anyone get sea cukes as hitch hikers on their liverock.com orders? Just wondering cause the other day while the lights were off on my 90 gallon FOWLR, I noticed a 2.5 - 3" orangy/tannish sea cucumber on the back tank wall. This sucker was quite large & had to come from the Keys LR that I bought from LR.com.
Didn't think that any of the LR pieces had holes or crevices that large to house this guy. I've had the LR for about 7 weeks, maybe he grew.
At any rate, these guys can wipe out a tank if they eviscerate correct? Should I try to remove it the next time I see him or leave it alone? Surprised my Angels & Tusk fish left him alone, (I guess they know that it's poisonous) cause they ate everything else.

I got a small white one. He is only 1/2 long. I am leaving mine in. Id much rather have that then the mantis.....

White almost translucent? I am not to sure about the orange one but the aquacultured keys is fairly common to have glass nudibranch and others simular. I have a cuke (non-hitchhiking) to keep the DSB in order and think he's great. My opionion would be try to positively ID it then decide.

I got 2 cukes on mr LR.com order. 1 was in the bottom of the bag all balled up. I didn't know what it was and almost through it out. I decided not to and tossed it into the tank and got a nice surprise when it opened up. I got pretty rough with one. It was on a piece of rock I needed to stacka nd I didn't want to smash him. I literally peeled it off the rock and had no problems.

Sea cucumbers are not poisonous, they are consumed through out the world as a delicacy. Second sea cucumbers are a filter feeder. I have never heard of anybody having a problem with them. I have 3 in my office tank 30 gal. for over three years and they have been great. My partner has had his for over seven years and no problems with several cucumbers in his 72 bow front. They usually come on the rock and not in it. Not to say they could not come in a hole in the rock. With all of the marine tank owners that we deal with, we have never heard of a cucumber problem. Maybe if you have a very small tank, and a large cucumber (6-10"or longer) and for some very strange reason it died and you left it in the tank to rot. Then it would definitely nuke the tank, just as any dead fish, or large animal. "Ron of Triton"

Back
Top Bottom