Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone have any feedback on LED lights?

I am hoping to set up a reef system (most likely 50-55 gallon range) in the near future. I have seen LED lights being sold and am interested because the tank will be in my bedroom. I really don't want the extra heat in the room. Does anyone have any experience with them? If so, are they a smart move?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ive never used them. The nicest reef tanks are lit with metal hallide.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No direct experience but I've been shopping a bit myself. I think in the long run LEDs will save you money but a good reef capable light is very expensive up front. Reduced power use, not replacing bulbs, no heat to worry about, etc. So far I haven't stopped choking on the price tags though.

- D
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been researching LEDs for quite some time. To be honest, they are just too expensive for me up front. You'll definitely save money over the long haul, but paying $400-$700 up front for 1 fixture is holding me back.

I like what I've seen from ecotech's Radion system that came out a few months back, but it's $750. Aqua Illuminations will be coming out with it's new Vega fixtures in the next month or so. They are wireless controlled and seem to have a good user interface. The Vega will be their new top of the line fixture.

Take a look and make sure to do your research. Many of the LED systems out there, just aren't made well and are not suitable for SW aquariums.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the input. I'll keep looking around and, maybe like every other technology, the pricing may come down the longer they are out. My lfs owner is really good and is testing one for himself now. He typically sells me equipment (big items) at his cost plus shipping. Besides I really haven't settled on the size, style, etc tank that I want to try. I currently have a 180 gallon FO tank but think I want to start much smaller for my first ever reef system.

Tags
led, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com