Anyone have success with two Yellow Strip Maroon Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had a pair of gold stripe maroon clowns for right at 3 years..I had one by itself for some time and was given a much smaller one. I think this is the reason the pairing was successful.

That might be an even better idea! Thanks! If the 1st one hosts a anenome and I add another, smaller one will they both host? I know there is no guarantee, but is it possible?

I Love my pair. I started out with juvenials and was lucky to get a pair. This is the method usually recomended. I would not suggest adding an anemome if you only have one and want to add a second. I would think this might only add to the natural territorial aggression.

I got 2 when small and before the color change, added at the same time. I think it was around 3 years ago I got them. They now are spawing on a regular basis. Do not plan on adding any other clown to the tank after them, unless its a real big tank.

Do not plan on adding any other clown to the tank after them, unless its a real big tank.

Noted! Thanks!

I started out with juvenials and was lucky to get a pair.
Afilter where did you get yours, online or LFS? They came as a pair, or in the same bag?

Bought mine at LFS.

There were three juvenials left in a tank. After observing for a while I noticed that two of them(one slightly bigger) hung out together behind a rock and kept the third away. Based on all I had read this was suppose to be how pairs formed, so I took the chance. Both fish were under $30 togther. Now it is hard to find single clowns for under $30.

There was a liitle agression at first in the new tank, but they then settled in. Over two years later the female in now about twice the size of the male. I recently aquired a BTA and they rarely stray far from it.

These are my favorite fish for personality and appearance by far. Watching them interact and feed the anenome is amazing.

If you have a large enough tank another option would be to purchase 3 or 5 small juvenials(start with odd #) and let them mature. Good chance you will get 1 or 2 pairs. Just have a plan for what you will do with the odd fish out.

IMO, buying a pair is too pricy and most of the time there is no guarantee, unless you stumble across a fellow hobbyist looking to sell an established pair.

Keep in mind in your 55g one pair would be all you could keep long term any additional maroons could not stay. For future planning also keep in mind it is not uncommon for maroons to get 6"+. I saw one over 8" in a LFS display before. My female is approaching 4" now.

FTIW, it is true that maroons do have the potential for being teritorial and nasty if crowded. My pair definately rule about 1/3 of the tank.

Also, not sure if you plan to keep the damsels, but they could be an issue introducing any new fish.

Let us know what you decide to do.

HTH,

i dont mean to hack the thread, but i have a question, too. i have a 55, and no "center piece" fish... ive been thinking that a pair of maroon clowns would be perfect. my question is this: wouldnt the 2 clowns from the same tank at lfs be more than likely be related? is it best to get one, then wait a bit til it gets bigger then go back and get another that is smaller, just to make sure they arent from the same family? sorry if this is stupid, but just wanted to know....

vsnsofadrgn,

Unless you are trying to breed them, I would not sweat it. Heck European royalty inbreed for centuries (not to say it did not cause problems). :)

If you do find potential fish incest morally reprehensible, check with the supplier or buy from two different locations just to be safe.

I would not put one in the tank and then try to add a second. Maroons can be very agressive especially to their own kind or similar clowns. IMO, it would be to risky to let one get settled and then try to introduce the second. Besides you want them as close to the same size when you start out and let nature decide which will be the male and female.

HTH,

LOL

im not trying to breed, just thought about it, and if they did breed on their own then it wouldnt that be a possibility??.... does seem a lil odd, do you think that type of thing would happen in the wild???

These are my favorite fish for personality and appearance by far.

Me too!

Keep in mind in your 55g one pair would be all you could keep long term any additional maroons could not stay.

Thanks, I didn't plan on it.

Also, not sure if you plan to keep the damsels, but they could be an issue introducing any new fish.

I know, they killed my RG. I will get rid of them (not killing but returning), but am having a hard time....LOL! I like them...sigh...Kinda like old friends, ya know. Plus I am having a hard time deciding what else I want to add, after I return them.
IMO, it would be to risky to let one get settled and then try to introduce the second. Besides you want them as close to the same size when you start out and let nature decide which will be the male and female.

i believe Hara had a large one and added a smaller one (some one gave it to her...I believe.).

Back
Top Bottom