Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-26-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone Using Reef Vital DNA

I was told by one LFS that i should be using Reef Vital DNA for the LR in my FOWLR. Then on Friday i was told by another LFS that this stuff is terrible for my tank, and in fact i was polluting my tank everytime that i use it. Is anyone else using this stuff? What is your opinion of it? I would like to hear if i am indeed polluting my tank, or if this stuff is as beneficial as the first LFS says. If you have tried it and changed, what are you using instead, or do i really need supplement for the LR in my tank?

stresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
as a general rule, additives are not really needed unless your water is deficient in something, ie calcium, improper ph, etc. Normal water changes using a quality saltwater mix is usually sufficient. Liverock does not need supplementation. The normal activities of feeding your fish followed by the natural process of fish waste, will keep the rock "live".

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
I totally agree with Hara, the only thing I add to my reef, is kalk and I do reg waterchanges to supplament anything else that might be lacking.

As far as the specific product you mention....Snake Oil springs to mind. I have thrown plenty of money away on Weiss "vital" products. IMO, they are fermented sugar water. The glucose will boost some processes in the tank, but I agree you are poluting it as much as helping it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks for the response guys. I was told the exact same thing in the candybass chat room earlier today by the bassman himself. So much for trusting my LFS. Being so new to this hobby, i have been taking their word as gospel and finding out that they are wrong about a lot of things. This being one of them. My lighting is another. Going with the responses that I've got, I'm not going to discontinue the use of this product completely, however i will add a very small amount about once a month, until i finish the bottle as a "treat" for my inverts. The day before i do a water change. And believe me, I will not be purchasing any more if this stuff in the future.
stresco is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com