Anyone Using Reef Vital DNA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was told by one LFS that i should be using Reef Vital DNA for the LR in my FOWLR. Then on Friday i was told by another LFS that this stuff is terrible for my tank, and in fact i was polluting my tank everytime that i use it. Is anyone else using this stuff? What is your opinion of it? I would like to hear if i am indeed polluting my tank, or if this stuff is as beneficial as the first LFS says. If you have tried it and changed, what are you using instead, or do i really need supplement for the LR in my tank?

as a general rule, additives are not really needed unless your water is deficient in something, ie calcium, improper ph, etc. Normal water changes using a quality saltwater mix is usually sufficient. Liverock does not need supplementation. The normal activities of feeding your fish followed by the natural process of fish waste, will keep the rock "live".

I totally agree with Hara, the only thing I add to my reef, is kalk and I do reg waterchanges to supplament anything else that might be lacking.

As far as the specific product you mention....Snake Oil springs to mind. I have thrown plenty of money away on Weiss "vital" products. IMO, they are fermented sugar water. The glucose will boost some processes in the tank, but I agree you are poluting it as much as helping it.

Thanks for the response guys. I was told the exact same thing in the candybass chat room earlier today by the bassman himself. So much for trusting my LFS. Being so new to this hobby, i have been taking their word as gospel and finding out that they are wrong about a lot of things. This being one of them. My lighting is another. Going with the responses that I've got, I'm not going to discontinue the use of this product completely, however i will add a very small amount about once a month, until i finish the bottle as a "treat" for my inverts. The day before i do a water change. And believe me, I will not be purchasing any more if this stuff in the future. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom